Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

2002 3Leaker... :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 05:31 PM
Default 2002 3Leaker... :(

I've got oil leaking somewhere down the front of the motor, it's getting flicked around by the pulleys, and has wet my belt. I also have oil on a bottom corner or my radiator, it's built up a nice little blob of crap there too. Anyone have a similar issue? I've cleaned the engine once but it seems impossible to pinpoint without a full engine shampoo and a leak detection dye.

It's also leaking transmission fluid now, so I'm starting to suspect the cooler lines...is this a common fix or am I way off base here? Help!!! She's gonna bleed out one of these days... :P

I should add that it's a Canadian driven vehicle with 248,000 km's (about 154,000 miles) on it....

Last edited by amypea; 07-17-2012 at 07:20 PM. Reason: missing info
Old 07-17-2012, 08:52 PM

Well, these are all garden variety problems with this milage. The escape 3.0L has a habit of leaking out of the enine's front cover. Best bet is to replace the cover seals and oil pan gasket all at once. This is very common, and the only way I know of to stem the eng. oil leaks on these.
As for the trans, be very careful here. These CD4E's (the type of trans.) has a habit of leaking from the rear cover (which is the pump) and gettting blown all over. However, it's not at all uncommon to see the lines leaking, either.