Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford Escape (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-escape-19/)
-   -   No throttle response (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-escape-19/no-throttle-response-40064/)

Michael Lambert 06-09-2019 06:31 PM

No throttle response

While driving my check engine light will come on and the car will immediately go to a rough idle and will have no response from the gas pedal.
I can park turn off and restart the car and the problem will go away. It hesitates to start at first.

2009 escape by 4wd. 3.0

I see alot of issues with the throttle body going out online, could this be it??

hanky 06-10-2019 02:54 AM

Your description sounds like a throttle body problem. They can be expensive and it might be a good idea to have a few scan tool tests done to confirm the ETC ( Electronic Throttle Control) is malfunctioning..

BeemerNut 06-11-2019 08:17 PM

There was a TSB on the plastic throttle body cracking causing your condition.
I have a 2010 Escape V6 that had your exact symptoms, lucky us in town as it would run normally them crap out from a stoplight in traffic or crossing a roadway a safety issue hence the TSB freebie repair.
Made it home by keeping the rpm's up 2 miles away, rolling stop signs really helped. Next morning called the Ford dealership where we purchased new and had other TSB's problems taken care of not the local ripoff Ford dealership. Flatbed picked up tow 27 miles away for the ordered TSB throttle body replacement. Before that having the 6 spd automatic reflashed three times until they got it right shifting correctly, firmer also living longer. Replacement of the left half shaft flange to tranny, tranny bushing and seal recall as the first time only a new seal when the bushing was already destroyed. Puked out ATF, finally with pictures Ford took care of the problem the second time CORRECTLY!
A OB2 diagnostic tool is your best friend, I have a OBDCOM usb interface unit with CD disc requiring a laptop computer when hooked up to any OB2 vehicle.
Best part you can read analog or digital every engine function and sensor live while running or driving including O2 sensor outputs. Scan, read and clear a well worth owning tool. Also own a 2004 Escape V6 the daughter's vehicle. High mileage and old age coil pack failure and plug replacements, fun replacing them against the firewall. Stupid engine installed sideways......~~=o&o>......

09XSCAPE 06-25-2019 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Lambert (Post 113712)
W

I see alot of issues with the throttle body going out online, could this be it??

yes...may be something else but the TB is a likely suspect. IDK if there is any way to test then

BeemerNut 06-26-2019 01:57 PM

I forgot to mention the OBDCOM (http://www.obdcom.com/manual.pdf) scan tool covers engines only and not transmissions.
I recall it costing $84 and has been used helping several other brands of friends vehicles besides the two Escapes the family we own.
It has paid for itself hundreds of times over and counting. It's even used to get readings on perfectly good running engines able to compare sensors and O2 sensors
of their operating outputs especially with keeping and eye on O2 sensors if they are slowly dying......~~=o&o>......

Rick2010FordEscape 09-15-2020 01:26 PM

BeemerNut: my 2010 Escape runs perfect...until the WRENCH symbol on the dash appears, I coast to the side of the road, the engine is barely running, I have no throttle response, I turn OFF the vehicle, I then start the vehicle right away...and I am good for another couple of weeks. Is my Escape condition possibly related to the TSB you mentioned? Do you know the TSB number?
Thanks for your time. Rick

hanky 09-17-2020 06:37 AM

Some FYI,
Usually when power is drastically reduced the vehicle has gone into limp mode to protect components and prevent further possible damage. When we turn off the vehicle , it allows the system to reset and get out of limp mode. This is a very short, temporary fix. The problem is to determine which signal(s) , info is either missing or not rational.
Sometimes a Service Bulletin is issued for certain problems,and sometimes not and this now requires someone with the knowledge and tools to determine just where the problem lies.

Rick2010FordEscape 09-21-2020 08:56 PM

THANKS to all that replied to this thread. That is so appreciated. It's what makes these forums so successful.
My Escape problem has BEEN FIXED.
My Escape problems got worse and worse last week. My Escape would go into fault mode almost every 10 minutes. The RPM's would be around 1100. The engine would barely be running. There would be no throttle response at all. If I turned off the engine, restarted the engine...then I could drive another 10 minutes. When I got home I read the code that finally appeared. It was P2112. A long story made short there is a Ford Extended Warranty on the Throttle Bottle that deals with this code, the above symptoms, age of vehicle and/or mileage of the vehicle.
My local dealership (very nice place to deal with) replaced the Throttle Body and my Escape runs perfect.
Thanks again for everyone's time.

hanky 09-22-2020 06:03 AM

Thank You for the update.
Vehicles these days are a little more complicated than yesterday's vehicles and thorough testing is usually required to confirm the cause of a problem.
Thanks for sharing the "Fix" with us.