Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

04 Escape Brake Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 04:47 PM
Default 04 Escape Brake Problem

its an 04, v6, front wheel drive. I searched in the forum here, didnt find anything. If anyone already covered this feel free to point me in the right direction. Had an issue with the front left caliper sticking, so I got a Cardone and replaced it. front left still sticks but not as bad, but now almost all of the braking force is in the rear. I don't think the caliper was ever the issue. Does it sound like maybe a proportioning valve or a master cylinder? Or what are everyones thoughts? I cant tell for sure if the right front is sticking as well, but I know the left front is.

Old 05-13-2017, 06:58 AM

Not sure of what you mean by sticking. Is it not applying or is it not releasing?
Some info please, Did you clean the caliper pins and pin bores and lube them with the proper lube that will stand up to hi heat and not damage the boots?
Additionally there could be a problem with the brake hoses to the calipers.
Is the anti-lock system working properly? Sometimes we try isolating certain areas to rule out problems there. With the wheels off the ground can you see/feel the calipers working at all?

Old 05-14-2017, 08:10 AM

It seems like both. Not wanting to apply or release. The left front caliper is a cardone unit, slide pins were greased when I got it, installed two days ago. The front brakes still act that way though. When you hit the brakes, the rear brakes grab but the front brakes don't feel like their doing anything, but that's in comparison to the rears. The abs seems to be working as it should. When it is up to speed (20 or higher probably, don't know the threshold for the abs to start working) the back tires will give a very small initial lock up then the pedal vibrates and all is well. Can't get the fronts to get anywhere near lock up to even test the front abs. When the car is stopped, if I push hard on the brakes for about 5 seconds, then I let off with it in gear, it won't roll forward for about 5 seconds and I can hear the calipers finally releasing when the rotors are starting to be able to turn. So I think it's a restriction somewhere in the system because it has problems going both ways. It was also hard to bleed. Another thing that points to a restriction. So the front lines maybe?

Old 05-14-2017, 12:57 PM

It's rare, but not impossible for both front brake hoses to have internal restrictions.
I know it is some addl expense, but considering the age, I would replace both front brake hoses unless you can open the connection where the brake line connects to the hose and see if the fluid exits without any problem when partially applying the brakes. Just a short note------- I hope you didn't allow the calipers to hang by the hoses, if so, anything is possible.

Old 05-14-2017, 06:20 PM

Well... I don't even know if the right one is sticking or not. But I know the left one is. Either way, I don't believe in just replacing one brake line, even if the right one is good. So I'll replace both if I do. I'll take a look at it and see if fluid runs good out of the hard line before the hose. And no I didn't. That's a big no no I know that. I probably wouldn't even post this thread but it's my mother and father in laws vehicle. If it were mine, I would've just replaced both calipers and hoses since it all has 180,000+ on it and been done with it. I hate cracking brake lines so if I have to do something to one side, I do the other side while I'm at it.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:10 PM

This is always a problem for any tech. Do we save the customer some $$$ and risk a comeback or should we do the whole job and do it right. Your points are well taken and I can sympathize with your logic. Sometime we don't always know the capabilities of the party on the other end and have to cover the bases. I feel you are on the right track and know what you need to do. Let us know how you make out, thanks.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:01 AM

Will do, thank you. I had never heard of brake hoses swelling on the inside. Not knocking Ford, but is it due to some material that they use in their hoses? Or is that a common thing for all makes? I've never owned one. I feel like I've had every problem in the world with my dodge and still had never heard of a brake hose swelling. But I'll never buy a dodge again. Anyway, will tell the parents that they need two new brake hoses and that should fix it

Old 05-16-2017, 03:09 PM

I wouldn't quite go that far that fast. The results you get when checking them out should confirm if that is the problem.
Brake hoses do collapse internally and it is not an unusual problem. Until the person checks to confirm fluid passing unrestricted they may not even think it could be the problem.
Parents and brakes, in that order, be careful.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:28 PM

Well.. yes. I guess I wasn't paying much attention when I typed that last reply. I'm gonna pull the hose at the line and see if I get good fluid running out fairly quickly when I touch the brake. Then I will tell them new brake hoses if that's the verdict