Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford Excursion (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-excursion-22/)
-   -   '02 Ex. Inst.panel died-truck cut off idling HELP (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-excursion-22/02-ex-inst-panel-died-truck-cut-off-idling-help-11429/)

tchdokey 01-16-2008 03:09 PM

'02 Ex. Inst.panel died-truck cut off idling HELP

I live in Middle GA and was driving home from work (25 miles) and as I crossed the bridge into my hometown, the instrument panel went dead and radio went off so I pulled over to a parking area and sat for a min. Panel came back on working properly and then died again. I put my ex in drive to get to the auto store for a battery check and the entire vehicle completely off. I crunk it back up and it started just fine but instrument panel / radio died again. I took off the 3 blocks to the auto store and nothing on the panel worked except just a flickering battery light like it wasn't sure it wanted to come on or not. Batteries were charging fine. Cleaned battery connectors, etc. Next day, it didn't do it at all. Then the following day, it happened again. I parked to get my son from church and let it idle as I had driven from work and wasn't going to be but just a few min. and when I went to get back into my ex, I opened the door and it completely shut off. Cranked it right back up and it did so w/ no problems. It has been w/ a mechanic since Friday and he says the computer he has to diagnose won't read my computer or it shows nothing. Now mind you, they at first FORGOT to return it to factory settings through the Predator programmer we have (as they were told they needed to do). HELP!! Being a woman andhaving two kids that I drive absolutely everywhere inmy excursion, I really don't want to get stranded on the side of the road somewhere. Does anyone have ANY suggestions for me as to what the problem might be? This all happened once before about 7 months ago and once the battery connectors were cleaned I had NO PROBLEMS since until about 2 weeks ago. Please help!

tchdokey 01-16-2008 03:11 PM

RE: '02 Ex. Inst.panel died-truck cut off idling HELP

Sorry...forgot it is a 2002 Ford Excursion 7.3 L Diesel

Hayapower 01-16-2008 05:09 PM

Did he get a error message with his scan tool that said 'Can't or Nocommunication, or was it a P1000 code on a code/ltest attempt? Rate of the charging system/output was checked?, as well as both batteries load tested?.. Inside/integrated intothe instrument cluster is a 'Battery Saver' relay, if it goes bad you'll loose your cluster indication, as well as the power distribution for the Accesory Delay relay which is in control of theradio power as well as power windows and a few other functions.. If the trucks available system voltage drops below spec, than the engine as well as accessories will crash because of the unavailable voltage, and as most functions are relay controlled, PCM relay, Accessory Delay, IDM relay ( Fuel Injector Driver Module) and so on.. Could be an intermittent current supply, or drop out.. But being it 'cranks' right up, or cranks at what appears? to be a spec rate, indicates possibly the battery saver relay may be at fault.. Could be as simple as a bad cable connection/ground, but if it has enough or plenty power to crank the engine, then gauges/cluster 'should' still be operating..

tchdokey 01-17-2008 08:12 AM

Thanks for your input to my problem. Allthe guy at the shoptold me was that he couldn't get the computer to read....whatever that means. He didn't say any codes or anything. I assumed from how he put it, he couldn't get any ready out whatsoever. He has had it nearly a week. He, himself, took the predator, plugged it back in and set it to factory settings (hopefully he did it right) and he said he still can't find anything. He says the computer needs replacing ( I guess that's the IDM b/c he mentioned something about that) The day that my husband took it in to him, it cut off on him too. He works at the base and as he was leaving, he got to the gate and it cut off on him then but he was able to crank it right back up again (he was only going 25, speed limit on base). Being there's a recall on the CPS, could it be that? I am not sure how that works.

oldtimer35 01-17-2008 10:45 AM

The cps recall will cause it to die and not restart. Have that taken care of first. It has no effect on you instrument cluster or radio. I would look at the battery saver relay as a possible problem.

Hayapower 01-17-2008 12:24 PM

Everytime it stalls, do you loose the instrument cluster functions?

The reason I asked about the no communication fault over the P1000 code was,, that if you received a P1000 code it would/should indicate a power interupt or power (12V) disconnection.. If you only get a 'no communication' error (cluster operating) with the scan tool would point towards a 'possible' PCM or power distribution issue to the PCM like a blown fuse ect. or even a data link connector problem.. But, with a open/blown fuse ect, the vehicle generally won't run at all.. Does he get a 'no communication' error with the truck running?

The PCM (vehicles's computer) is a seperate unit from the IDM module..Think of the PCM as the brains, and the IDM module as the 'grunt' for the fuel injection.. No communication points towrds the PCM and power distribution to it.. If the engine starts up, then with 'either' program, (Predator or stock tune) you would/should be able to communicate with the PCM.. With a Predator tune installed, you can still access trouble codes or get into the vehicle data stream..

tchdokey 01-31-2008 10:27 AM

I'm now at the point of being completely aggravated w/ my beloved 2002 7.3L PSD X with 141,963 miles. The "great mechanic" recommended by my friend kept it for two weeks, charged $75 (diagnostic fee) and fixed NOTHING and gave NO DIAGNOSIS!! Said he was at a loss after he performed all pin (?) tests on the computers, etc and can't find why the instrument cluster went dead, surged back to working only to go dead again. Of course, we have a Predator tuner and they "failed" to remember that and change it back to factory before the first test. Once reminded of it, they changed it and still kept it for a week. We finally went and picked it up. Called our local dealer and took it in Wednesday for CPS recall. They fixed it and fixed the driver's seat which wasn't working. Brought it home, put the Predator tuner back on, installed economy mode. Went out later to go somewhere and it wouldn't crank....just clicked. Ran predator for codes and the code for the theft system came up, cleared codes and it cranked fine but NOW...the drivers seat no longer works and the interior / running board lights stay on FOREVER. I guess eventually the battery saver relay shuts them off but when you crank it up again, they come on and stay on, even when driving. Any suggestions???

Cpt_ahab_86 11-11-2009 04:00 PM

Late for some, helpful for others.. I hope

Ok,

I live near Atlanta, Ga and own a 2002 Ford X 7.3L. Believe it or Not the Great state of Ga got more rain in two days than record for 100 years. Long story short, I had to repace my alternator. This "NEW" alternator malfunctioned and produced a glorious 18V.

I have two NEW optima batteries (9/09) and new "BAD" alternator. Wake up one morning Car will NOT start, batteries are dead. After about thirty minutes my wife's V6 finally gave it enough juice to bust off (Crank).

I decide to run up the road to get some gas and stop by a auto parts to get everything checked out. About a mile from the house, my instrument panel dies and motor actually shuts off while making a turn into oncoming traffic.

So, Instrument panel is not working, radio is dead, and automatic windows are anything but working. The X, does crank back up and I make it home, after gas and uneventful trip to all the auto parts/service places in hopes of having a blown fuse or relay.

ENTER FORD - Discover the "New" alternator is Bad. :confused:
THREE DAYS LATER - Here is Ford's Diagnosis:

Replace Cluster
(Battery Saver Relay Internal In Cluster)

Apparently, It was a Relay, but the one built into the instrument cluster. It's the best thing I've gotten to a diagnosis and for $704.58 I can only hope it's the right Fix.

jking65 01-19-2010 08:00 PM

i checked all my truck parts, if i loose the cluster indication and also the batteries but it always give me the same output.. maybe i will try your detailed solutions hayapower.. thanks..

kurtdaniel 07-19-2010 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by jking65 (Post 50128)
i checked all my truck parts, if i loose the cluster indication, the batteries, and also the Ignition Wire Set but it always give me the same output.. maybe i will try your detailed solutions hayapower.. thanks..

good decision,,ive tried it and it works great..If the trucks available system voltage drops below spec, than the engine will crash..