Ford Excursion So the size of the Expedition is not enough for you, then the massive Excursion is the way to go. With options including a powerful diesel engine, the Excursion is like a tractor trailer built for family use.

2002 Excursion Stuck In Park

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 02:54 PM
Default 2002 Excursion Stuck In Park

Hello Everyone --

I have a 2002 Excursion with 43737 miles on it. It is having some electrical problems and a mechanical issue that has stumped me.

The electrical problem is that something keeps draining the battery.First, the front right passenger's door wouldn't open by remote key. Then all the doors failed to open (battery is okay). Then, the red light indication "door Ajar" would remain on either while the vehichle was running or off. Next, the battery would die in a week unless the Excursion was running to kep it charged. I checked each fuse circute with a friend on a volt meter monitoring the battery and found that fuse #34 to an idicator light (forgot which one) was doing it, so I thought. But after a week with the fuse being out, it bearly started, so it's something else as well. Now, I disconnect the battery.

The mechanical issue is new. The vehicle will readily start when the battery is reconnected, and with the engine running like a top, and with my foot on the break, it can't be shifted from park to any other gear.

For essentially what remains to be a new 2002 Excursion, I'm having problems I can't figure. The last thing I want to do is take it back to the nearby Ford dealer.

By the way, I called Ford Motor Company's customer service number. I expected to speak with an expert. After all, they built it. Not so...they referred me to my Ford dealer. Talk about insult to injury for a nearly $60K vehicle.

Does anyone have any thought on this or have experienced the same problems? I'd sure appreciate your thoughts.

I'll close by saying I love this vehicle. Wouldn't trade it for the world. I'm only sorry Ford ceased producting in 2005. Hopefully it wasn't due to the environmentalists.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 11-07-2017, 02:15 PM

this sounds like a problem I had on my 02 Ex, sometimes it would let me shift it also and then all of a sudden it would not shift into gear. I hauled down to a local tranny shop and had it checked out, it turned out that my transfer case wasn't let it shift into gear. you might consider that possibility.