Ford Excursion So the size of the Expedition is not enough for you, then the massive Excursion is the way to go. With options including a powerful diesel engine, the Excursion is like a tractor trailer built for family use.

Accessories stay on even when key is out of ignition

Old 11-06-2018, 09:37 AM
Default Accessories stay on even when key is out of ignition

I have a 2000 Ford Excursion 7.3L and have been having electrical problems. My batteries consistently die and I have had several mechanics look at it. I have replaced the batteries several times over the last couple of years because they are always dying on me. The truck was not driven every day, so the only thing we knew is that there was something drawing from the batteries. We could never find the problem. After sitting for 2 or 3 days, I would go out to start it and it was dead. Now, my mechanic has had it in the shop and we have narrowed it down to a specific problem. When the key is OUT, the driver's side door dings when opened. That is only supposed to happen if the lights are left on. The windows roll up and down as well. All of the accessories stay on. Even the radio.

The mechanic removed the Body Control Module and took the fuse out of it. The fuse was not damaged. He put the fuse back in, and it seemed to re-set everything and fixed the issues. We let it sit for 2 days in the shop, and now it is dead again. HELP!!!!!

Old 11-06-2018, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

The key IN ignition chime, is different than the lights ON warning. Meaning the pulse rate is different.
If the key is left in the ignition and the door opened, it should chime. It was a fairly common failure for the plastic retaining clip that holds the grounding tab around the lock set bore (key in ignition grounds this tab) to break and give a false ground (false indication the key is still installed)
As far as the P/W, Radio,, when the key is cycled off (and as long as the door isn’t opened) normally power remains active but timed through the closed battery saver relay on down into the accessory delay relay with the GEM module ( not BCM) in control of the relays. If the relays remain actively closed/hot, when/if the door is opened all the accessories will remain active.
The door ajar switch signals to the GEM that the door has been opened. If the door ajar switch is stuck (another common issue) the GEM won’t get the signal to cancel the delay feature.
Any significant draw like interior lights left in etc, the battery saver should ‘time out’ the draw as a disconnect. Which in turn would also cancel the accessory delay relay function, as well as the interior lamp relay... What do all these features and relay function have in common,, GEM..

One of the fairly common causes for GEM failure was a leaking windshield ( more often if replaced at some point) and the moisture would run off the inner cowl, on down the main harness and into the back of the GEM causing all kinds of odd conditions. It may not be your issue, but something to check.
If the GEM is shorted internally allowing for relay activations,, or doesn’t sleep, it could cause your system draw.
Do you remember what circuit protections/fuse/s they pulled ?

Last edited by Hayapower; 11-06-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:54 PM

Thank You!!

All of the accessories were still on, even the radio... keys out of the ignition...He took out the fuse for the BCM. It did a temp fix, but now the batteries are dead... now that you mention it, there IS water leaking from around the windshield. it actually drips from the top... there are other electrical things that don't work too, now that I think about it (the overhead fuel mileage/compass thing), and my door locks are temperamental, so I will have him check that.