Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

Key Ignition - Bad connection

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Question Key Ignition - Bad connection

Hi... I was hoping someone could tell me where to purchase the cord that runs from the Ignition Switch to the computer. I think over time the connections have somehow warn. When we tilt the wheel we can no longer use our blinkers and sometimes when we are driving all the dash lights go out. We think it is the cord shorting things out, but not sure. Anyway, I can't find the name of it or how to order it. NAPA carries the Ignition Switch itself, but not the attaching cord, and they have no idea how to order it. Well,... at least our NAPA.

I don't know what I am doing... so Help a dumb girl out P L E A S E!!

re: 1999 Eddie Bauer 8cyl 5.4L Expedition

Old 07-02-2010, 06:24 PM

Its called a wire harness and is obtained from only a FORD dealership, BUT

don't even think of doing the job yourself. You are playing with Air bags and safety items. There are special procedures that must be followed and special tools to remove the steering wheel and related parts. This is a job for an experienced technician with the proper tools and knowledge of the system.
That said,,,,,,,, there are some additional checks that you might do such as checking for loose wiring or connections behind the dashboard. This too, can get quite involved, best left to someone familiar with Ford wiring. You are not dumb, because you asked for help before starting a job that could become loaded with grief. hanky