Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

2003 Ford Expedition new owner trouble list

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 05:12 PM
Red face 2003 Ford Expedition new owner trouble list

Hi people,

Never owned domestic cars, always was a fan of German cars and still owe multiple of them. Always work on my cars myself. But decided to buy 2003 Expedition Eddie Bauer Edition because it was cheap and another reason to learn something new.

Here is the list of problems it have, would appreciate your input on fix advices. I can start digging myself but decided first to ask you guys.

1. Engine Codes:
P0405
P0460
P0463
P0171

2. Steering Control buttons does not work
3. Cruise control sign is constantly on. (green speedometer with an arrow)
4. Radio does not turn on
5. Door ajar sign comes on even though doors are closed.
6. Fuel gauge takes 30 minutes to show correct level. I put full tank and it slooooowly goes up.
7. Seller gave me two keys and no fob. He said he is not sure if these cars came with a fob.
8. Car has trouble accelerating. RPMs dont go higher than 3000. No shaking, no weird noises, no overheat signs and etc.

This is it for now

Old 12-28-2018, 03:04 AM

There is a DPFE sensor that senses how much exhaust gas gets recirculated and it seems that sensor is not functioning correctly either due to clogged passages or sending incorrect info to the computer, replacement usually takes care of that.
The 460 & 463 codes are related to the fuel tank level sensor sending incorrect info to the PCM. Sometimes a product made by chevron called Techron plus,will clean the resistor windings and wiper of the level sensor. Worth a try or the circuit card on the tank module or the module itself will need to be replaced.
Something like a vacuum leak on ,bank 1 (pass side) on Ford, or a malfunctioning O2 sensor for that bank can send a 171 code.if it sticks lean.
Welcome to Fordland !

Sometimes we spray some penetrating oil into each door locking latch and mechanism (do them all) and that manages to free up the assy so it allows it to reset and stop sending incorrect info that a door is open.

Always a good move to change the fuel filter !!

Last edited by hanky; 12-28-2018 at 03:12 AM.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
There is a DPFE sensor that senses how much exhaust gas gets recirculated and it seems that sensor is not functioning correctly either due to clogged passages or sending incorrect info to the computer, replacement usually takes care of that.
The 460 & 463 codes are related to the fuel tank level sensor sending incorrect info to the PCM. Sometimes a product made by chevron called Techron plus,will clean the resistor windings and wiper of the level sensor. Worth a try or the circuit card on the tank module or the module itself will need to be replaced.
Something like a vacuum leak on ,bank 1 (pass side) on Ford, or a malfunctioning O2 sensor for that bank can send a 171 code.if it sticks lean.
Welcome to Fordland !

Sometimes we spray some penetrating oil into each door locking latch and mechanism (do them all) and that manages to free up the assy so it allows it to reset and stop sending incorrect info that a door is open.

Always a good move to change the fuel filter !!

Thank You for your reply!

Does fuel pump system is a one piece including pump, filter, module and etc? Or all these are separate parts?

Regarding running lean, you think its O2 sensor? My first thought was MAF or Throttle. But Ill listen to you and replace O2 first.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:43 AM

The parts are available separately ,circuit card and fuel pump motor assy. You may need to obtain parts from Ford dealer. Pump motor is usually available at most auto supply stores. I would try the Chevron fuel product first ,might save you a lot of work and $$$.

It is rare that a MAF sensor or throttle position sensor will affect only one bank since all air coming in goes to all cyls.Whereas each bank of the engine, V6 or V8 have separate sensors for each bank.

Yes, Audis are nice cars, in a class of their own.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:04 PM

The parts are available separately ,circuit card and fuel pump motor assy. You may need to obtain parts from Ford dealer. Pump motor is usually available at most auto supply stores. I would try the Chevron fuel product first ,might save you a lot of work and $$$.

It is rare that a MAF sensor or throttle position sensor will affect only one bank since all air coming in goes to all cyls.Whereas each bank of the engine, V6 or V8 have separate sensors for each bank.

ok, will try as you said.

when I was shopping for an Expedition, most options in my budget were either with blown engine or tranny. What’s up with these? What are best preventative maintenance things to do to prolong engine and tranny?

Old 12-29-2018, 08:34 AM

As a vehicle maintenance person I am sure you realize the value of regular oil changes AND using the correct oil. A lot of people are not aware of the importance of just these two items and the cost as you can imagine is great if overlooked/ignored. Ford did have some problems with timing chains, tensioners phasers etc. Motor oil played a big part in this. Doing your homework is more than half the battle and you should have a good vehicle when done.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:54 PM

hanky,

i had had no chance to get my hands dirty with O2 sensor. My neigbor saw me buying this car and asked what’s wrong with it, soo he said he had the same lean code and it to fixed after manifold gasket replacement. Is there any way to rule this out?

Old 01-17-2019, 07:03 PM

I am shopping online for an DPFE sensor, and I see DPFE, DPFE4 and DPFE15, DPFE with Motorola 1.0 volt. What are differences?