Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

Help please! Normal tire wear or is something wrong

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 02:54 PM
Default Help please! Normal tire wear or is something wrong

Hi, I am new to this forum, trying to find a place to see if I have an issue before going to the mechanics.

Stats: 2015 Ford Expedition XLT 2WD

all four of my tires are wearing on the edges. The middle of the tire has good tread, but the edges on both inside and out are worn down. On the passenger rear the wear is the worst on the inside of the tire (almost showing steel belting)

now, these tires are original wranglers with the Expedition. I have about 72k miles on them and they were manufactured in 42 week of 2014 (stamp on tire). I have rotated the tires maybe 4 times since owning it (30k miles). I don’t know frequency before that.

I have been inflating them to about 40 psig to get more wear on the middle of the tire, but it doesn’t seem to be helping.

Before I put new tires on it I wanted to check to see if I need to get front and rear alignments first (rear has independent suspension correct???)

We drove out of town a couple days ago and I noticed a little play in the steering wheel that I don’t remember it having before (I drive my F-150 daily , this is my wife’s vehicle). I only noticed it when we were over 70 mph though and on the highway. Haven’t noticed anything during normal daily city driving. Well, one thing. I have noticed that when I turn pretty hard it sounds like the tire, or something, is rubbing. That is new.

Is this normal and I just need new tires or do y’all think I need an alignment? Google has been little help- according to it I need a plethora of repairs.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:43 PM

The first thing you might consider is to have the vehicle checked out for worn parts in the suspension.
No good alignment shop will attempt to perform an alignment with worn tires.
If you are inflating the tires to 40 lbs and they are still wearing on the sides, I would get another tire pressure gauge and also when it has the correct tires on it you should try to inflate them according to the specs on the door sticker. What kind of maintenance has been done to the vehicle? Usually with regular maintenance tire problems are spotted before they become unsafe to drive on. High speed turns will take the corners off tires is that a possible problem?