Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

Probably Not Fuel Pump issue, but Fuel Pump Driver Module

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 06:15 AM
Default Probably Not Fuel Pump issue, but Fuel Pump Driver Module

if you have a Ford expedition, and you are pressing on the gas, and are cranking, but unable to start, if you have ruled out the issue to be battery related, it is probable a bad Fuel Pump driver Module. These are installed in the rear of the truck, usually by the spare tire. They are prone to corrosion and rust, and may short out. You may also want to check the relay for a burnt fuse, because the Fuel Pump Drive Module has its own fuse that may blow. If you check the owners manual for the correct fuse, and pull it, and if it is blown, than it is 100% not the fuel pump problem, but the Driver module. If you take the truck to the mechanic then they will not be able to diagnose this and may end up replacing your fuel pump because they think that is the problem.
It is a pretty cheap fix at the Ford Repair, all things considered. The total was $300.00 installed, and on the road in 3 hrs. @

Old 01-22-2011, 08:13 AM

Thank you for sharing that $300 lesson with us. Many folks get good info here , but we don't always know if it helped. Stay in touch , we both can learn a lot if good stuff here. Have a great day !!

Old 09-27-2012, 06:14 PM
Cool 2006 Expedition

Thanks for the information about the fuel pump driver module. I took my Expedition to the Ford guys yesterday and this morning they said it would be about $400 + tax to get my rig out of hock. I am going to tell them that last year somebody posted it would be $300 and see if they will show me some latitude. I'm really glad this forum is here--I can use all the help I can get! This ol' grama is not going to be bullied. I'll post what they do for me

Old 04-21-2017, 05:23 PM

Hi guys,
I haven't fixed the issue yet, but I'm glad I came across this thread.

So, the other day I decided to go have a look at my F150 that's been parked at my sisters for the winter; trying to figure out the power loss of my engine and fuel hogging.

My brother in law says "oh by the way, your fuel issue"... ????. He went over to Tims for a coffee and a group of guys were talking bout their Fords. This one guys has same issue as mine, loss engine power and burning to much fuel; he changed the FPDM and pouff, issue resolved. So obviously I'm rushed curious, check top of spare tire.

There it is, half of the chips housing gone. The chip looks fine but should be replaced ASAP.

Most symptoms of a bad FPDM shoots a code and has stall/no start issue, but you never know.

I'm ordering the part in a few days, will keep posted.