Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford Expedition (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-expedition-21/)
-   -   Wont even crank (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-expedition-21/wont-even-crank-30997/)

tibbitandtad 12-05-2013 09:54 PM

Wont even crank

I am trying to trouble shoot my wifes truck from about 8000 miles away. When she tries to start the truck it wont even crank. It shows the following with the key on

Service advance track. Also as it sits there, it shows the mileage as dots, then a battery icon, then an oil icon, then the service message, then a wrench. I am thinking that most of the icons are on due to the engine not running but

It also shows a car icon with a lock over it. I am hoping that its the security system and all she needs to do is lock it with the door shut and then unlock it as I have had that happen before but not sure. Any ideas?

tibbitandtad 12-05-2013 10:18 PM

From everything that I have been able to find out, it sounds like the IKT's don't match the system programing.

hanky 12-05-2013 10:23 PM

What year and model is the truck? If it has a security system on it from the factory we may be able to suggest something.

tibbitandtad 12-06-2013 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by hanky (Post 85563)
What year and model is the truck? If it has a security system on it from the factory we may be able to suggest something.

2011 Expedition and yes it does. She took it to the dealer to get the Keyless entry code and they "Hacked" into the CPU to get it. The next morning she went to start it and it wouldn't even crank. The securilock icon is showing which tells me that the system is locked but the keys are the same ones that came with the truck. I think that someway they got wiped but not sure.

hanky 12-06-2013 06:36 AM

Until you can arrange for the dealer to come and check it out make sure she tries to start it with just the ignition key alone and no other keys with any codes on the key ring. Sometimes the system gets confused with other coded keys nearby.
Also, if she has the 2nd coded key available for the vehicle , she should try that key.

tibbitandtad 12-07-2013 08:31 AM

She has tried both keys away from any other coded keys. The research that I have done has taken me through that but to no avail. She called the dealer yesterday and had it towed to the shop. They were unable to immediately figure it out and gave her a loaner until they do. I had thought about having her disable the securilock by undoing the battery for approx. 20 minutes but even though that worked on the older models, I didn't know whether it would on the newer ones.

Thank you for all your help. If you think of anything else, please let me know. I am about to call her and see if they were able to figure it out. Thanks again

hanky 12-07-2013 10:40 AM

It seems you did your homework, If you would, could you let us know what they might have done to correct the problem. Thanks !

grindman 12-07-2013 11:14 AM

just reading this it sounds like the security system got wiped out and won't recognise the code on the keys. and now the dealer has to reprogram it so that the security system can relearn the the codes on the keys.

hanky 12-07-2013 02:07 PM

It sure sounds that way.
What we don't know is was the vehicle running when she picked it up or was she able to start it at the dealer and drive away.
You would need something similar to the Ford IDS to get into the security system and look for what was changed , if anything, there is always the possibility of something else in the security system having gone south.

tibbitandtad 12-08-2013 08:38 AM

Thanks for the compliment. I do what I can with the limited internet where I am right now. The Military doesn't give us much at premium prices. LOL

Thanks again for the input

Ill let ya know what they find. I don't know if it was runnin or not when she got to it. Most likely it was because they just pulled it out and told her it was ready to go.