Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

98 Explorer Air Ride Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 10:30 PM
Default 98 Explorer Air Ride Suspension

Recently acquired 98 Explorer 4x4 4L, and I noticed the compressor for the air ride suspension coming on a lot, so upon further inspection I find that the front shocks have been changed to gas, but the hoses have not been capped off at all. I am okay with leaving the gas shocks for the time being, as replacement air shocks are pretty pricey, but I need to do something about the air system. Should I disable the front fill solenoid and/or plug the hoses? what about the ride height sensors?
The rear shocks are still air but are getting rusted, so I'm debating on going gas in the rear also. Would I be better off with air all around or gas or what? If I did switch over to gas how would I disable the "check air ride system" that would show up on the message display?

Thanks

Old 05-23-2008, 10:49 AM
Default RE: 98 Explorer Air Ride Suspension

Well I ended up buying a pair of gas shocks and saying forget the ARC. I'm sure it will be a lot cheaper in the long run, plus I can tear out the compressor and height sensors and save some weight. So next question, how do I get the "air ride switch off" to stop being displayed? I know I'm not the first person to put gas shocks in an air ride vehicle, so any advice would be great.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:26 AM
Default RE: 98 Explorer Air Ride Suspension

Yesterday I ripped out the old air ride shocks, compressor, height sensors + linkage and solenoids. Probably saved 50lbs by the time I was done. Threw out compressor but if anybody needs height sensors or solenoids let me know, they appear to be in really good condition.
My question though, is above the spare tire on the driver's side there is a unit with 2 hoses and 1 electrical connection, what is this? From the hose connections I'd guess it's some sort of fuel vapour collection but I can't seem to find it in any shop drawings. Any guesses? I do still need to disable the "Air Ride Switch Off" message too if anybody knows how.
Thanks