Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Get out of my Acura MDX for an Explorer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 06:47 PM
Default Get out of my Acura MDX for an Explorer?

Hello everyone. Brand new to this forum. I'm the owner of an '05 Acura MDX that will not die. No major issues but I'm thinking about replacing it with a 2016 or newer Explorer and putting my son into the MDX. I do pretty much all the routine maintenance, including all fluids, brakes, hoses, belts, etc... I'm looking for a few things from this community:
1. The routine fluid maintenance for the MDX is pretty high - Rear differential AWD clutch fluid drain and fill (Honda VTM-4 fluid), transfer case (90w oil) and tranny fluid drain and fill (~3 quarts) every 30,000 miles. I can do this in less than an hour because I've done it so many times. How does this compare to the newer Explorers?
2. I know there were major updates made to the Explorer in 2016. I've been looking at either the 2016 Limited with BLIS or a 2017 XLT with BLIS, cold weather package, and possible appearance package. Is there anything I should be looking for in these model years regarding TSBs, recalls, gremlins, etc... as I test drive them?
3. What are the main failures on these newer models? I've seen forum postings for rear main seal leaks(?). Are there any issues with the AWD systems I should be aware of?
4. Lastly, I was at the Philly Auto Show last month and saw the 2020 Explorer. Really nice. What's the general opinion on waiting for one of those? Are there major differences/updates/upgrades as compared to the current model iteration? I could always drive my MDX for a couple extra years and pickup a 2020 at the end of the model year to save a few bucks.

Thanks everyone!