Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

squeaking / chirping belt

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 04:13 PM
Default squeaking / chirping belt

Hi,I have a 2000 Explorer v6, it makes a squealing/chirping noise in the belt. I had the belt and tensioner replaced at a local shop. The noise stopped for 15-20 miles then came back slowly at first and the louder. I then had the idea I should bring it to the local ford dealer. They said it was done and had some slick stuff on the NEW belt, so they got me for $72.00 for a new belt and $108 for labor to replace they belt and clean the pulleys. I head home and 10 miles later the squeal/chirp came back, same as before quieter then louder. I returned it to the shop and they brought it in again. They said the tensioner was faulty so the zinged m for new tensioner and installation. I headed home and again 10 miles down the road and it squealed/chirpped again. So I brought it back again, they said the tensioner was at a slight angle fixed it then put a new belt on again. (at their dime this time). On the way home the hood flew up and smacked the roof causing lots of damage ( not to mention scaring the crap out of my GF). They repaired all the damage, but it took two weeks. I picked it up today and guess what it is still squealing!!! Does any one have any advice about what might be wrong??? I am calling them again tomorrow but it would be great if I had a direction to send them because they clearly have no direction and it has been since the week before Christmas and I have been without my SUV.Thanks Dennis[/align]

Old 01-30-2007, 09:23 AM
Default RE: squeaking / chirping belt

Have them check and see if you are getting antifreeze on the pulleys that can make it squeal.

Old 01-30-2007, 08:07 PM

It may be a different pully alternator, Steering pump, bearings in it could be bad

Old 01-30-2007, 11:05 PM

Wow, those shops don't know their head from a hole in the ground. Have any of them replaced the idler pulleys yet? I've also seen the phenolic p/s pulley make noise.. The bigger question should be why are Fords so bad with belt squeaks? I'm always haveing to chase noisy belt systems on fords.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:23 PM

Hi,
How would they test for antifreeze? The alternator was new about 2 months ago, and it seems the noise is coming from the right side of the engine.They have replace the idler also.
Thanks,
dennis

Old 01-31-2007, 09:41 PM

Check your overflow bottle to see if your loosing antifreeze all so check around your water pump and thermostat housing for any antifreeze leaks.there is operating marks on your tensioner that indicates were your tensioner should be operating. Good luck

Old 02-01-2007, 05:20 PM

Hi,
I did not see any leaking and the resivor was full, but I will check the tensioner tonight when I get home.
Thanks,
Dennis

Old 02-05-2007, 12:54 AM

When I bought my T Bird Firestone wanted $80 to replace my belt. I bought a new one and figured it out in 20 min. There was later a squeal which was the idler burning up the bearings. $10-$15 for them. I'm on my 2nd belt in 8 yrs. I use the prestone spray (yellow can) which slows the decay of the belt. I keep the old belt for emergencys.