Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford Explorer (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-explorer-20/)
-   -   4x4 doesnt work (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-explorer-20/4x4-doesnt-work-1620/)

Badaboom 08-24-2005 05:57 PM

4x4 doesnt work

I have a 1993 Explorer 4-door. I was stuck in mud a couple days ago... I was in 4x4..... i went to switch to 4 low....... the 4x4 light switch went off and now neither the 4x4 or 4 low work.... i have the dash mounted buttons above the radio to turn on my 4x4. Any ideas? I checked any and all fuses.... I looked in my Explorer book and found out that the shift control module is in the rear left wheel well area.... I dont know what to look for though. Thanks in advance for your help.

Ramrod48 08-25-2005 11:40 AM

RE: 4x4 doesnt work

Normally What I find is the lil elec. motor on the Transfer Case has hung up , If up look up under there its about the size of a wiper moter ( smaller than a soup can , round ) , there 3 bolts if I remember rite. If the 4 + 4 hasnt been used in awhile they kinda get stuck, Sometimes you can u-bolt them , An have someone work the switch, An they will go to working, , Then bolt it back up , like once every 2 weeks or once a month , just cycle your switches, Sometimes your able to get it to work by playing with in a empty parking lot just drive around slow an activate it, Go foward an Reverse while hitting the buttons, It has a coil set up very similar to an AC clutch .If you cant get it to work by unbolting it , then its probaly bad I have replacrd a bunch of them. But you should make sure your getting power down to it before you replace it with a new one , There pretty pricey !!!

Sabretooth 08-29-2005 01:57 AM

Hey, have a '91 Explorer...I'm pretty sure, or have at least read that at this point in time they were playing with an electrical 4x4 system and had some bugs in it... I had to disengage my 4x4 because the hubs weren't disengaging by themselves...motor was worn or something...anyways, it was like 1500 to change 'em up, and 20 bucks to remove 1 piece so they weren't always on...well...student budget you know...

Ramrod48 08-29-2005 02:50 AM

Yea , I have never cared for the AUTO locking hubs , basically they work on a cam an spring set up, ,, But there made for city fella's that dont like getting a lil mud on there shark skin boots ,, the elect. part is just the xfer case only , not the hubs , theres no wires going to them .

scotty0457 10-14-2009 09:05 PM

1994 ford explorer

okay so i have an explorer and the 4X4 wont engage. ive got power to the switch, the switch makes the relay in the back click and it sends power through the relay, i tried tapping the motor by the transfer case and when the button is being pushed it makes a noise like its working. i need to take it off and make sure, what else could it be? and how much work is involved in changing the radius arm bushings?