Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford Explorer (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-explorer-20/)
-   -   95 4.0L OHV cam position sensor location (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-explorer-20/95-4-0l-ohv-cam-position-sensor-location-39783/)

Petethecarguy 04-05-2019 08:55 AM

95 4.0L OHV cam position sensor location

Does anyone know where it's located what it's takes to remove it

Hayapower 04-05-2019 11:29 AM

For 95 it was called a CID for cylinder identification . Some call them CMP.
Its mount on top of the oil pump drive assy at the rear of the engine.
Looks like a cut off distributor, sensor is on top..

Petethecarguy 04-05-2019 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Hayapower (Post 112955)
For 95 it was called a CID for cylinder identification . Some call them CMP.
Its mount on top of the oil pump drive assy at the rear of the engine.
Looks like a cut off distributor, sensor is on top..

is it under the manifold because I can not out my hand on it?

JustinWHT 06-09-2019 09:01 AM

Location - Camshaft Position Sensor

On the 2000 OHV.....Should be same as 4.0 L Cologne OHV V6.

You need a step stool. Passenger side, rear of engine, against firewall. Feel for a hose then drop your hand straight down and feel for a cable harness hooked up to round object with two screws on top.

I forget if it's metric or SAE, but go to AutoZone, O'Reilly's, etc and ask to look at it, it has new screws included. Grab a plastic pouch of small ignition wrenches and see if metric or SAE best fit. It's close to 1/8" or 6 mm.

You'll have to do it by feel. I forget if the OEM or replacement had a shoulder on the bolt. If there is a shoulder, it's easy to place wrench over bolt; if no shoulder, place thumb over the wrench to let bolt touch your thumb and keep the wrench from going past the bolt head.

The sensor goes in only one way.

Petethecarguy 06-12-2019 02:49 PM

thank you for your response. ?can you see the sensor. I have the replacement but ca

Originally Posted by JustinWHT (Post 113699)
On the 2000 OHV.....Should be same as 4.0 L Cologne OHV V6.

You need a step stool. Passenger side, rear of engine, against firewall. Feel for a hose then drop your hand straight down and feel for a cable harness hooked up to round object with two screws on top.

I forget if it's metric or SAE, but go to AutoZone, O'Reilly's, etc and ask to look at it, it has new screws included. Grab a plastic pouch of small ignition wrenches and see if metric or SAE best fit. It's close to 1/8" or 6 mm.

You'll have to do it by feel. I forget if the OEM or replacement had a shoulder on the bolt. If there is a shoulder, it's easy to place wrench over bolt; if no shoulder, place thumb over the wrench to let bolt touch your thumb and keep the wrench from going past the bolt head.

The sensor goes in only one way.

thank you for your response. ? can you see the sensor. I have the replacement but cant seen too locates it. I am going to follow your instruction.

Petethecarguy 06-12-2019 02:53 PM

thank you for your response. ?can you see the sensor. I have the replacement but cant seen to found it on the engine. I am going to follow your instructions

JustinWHT 06-12-2019 03:02 PM

I doubt you can get your head that far in. You can see it with mirror and floodlight to get an idea how to do it by feel. But you need a step stool to get that far into engine.

JustinWHT 06-12-2019 03:09 PM

Remote Cellphone Camera App

I found this trick useful with a spare Android phone.

App is called Warden Cam. Set one phone as camera, other as viewer. If you have a spare unused phone, turn on hotspot on primary phone and connect spare phone as camera to it.

Petethecarguy 06-15-2019 02:13 PM

Cant find sensor

I used a small platform with a flashlight and mirror and I can't seen to see it. Is by the transmission dip stick tube? I have a ac line running horizontally across the top of the fire wall. I also have support for the ac line going vertically by the trany dip stick. Can you be a little more descriptive on where it is located? Thanks in advance for your help can you call me on my cell phone 603 475 3709 pete

Hayapower 06-16-2019 10:40 AM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...5336a4c8a.jpeg
95 pushrod have a synchronizer..
At the back of the intake you’ll see the cam/oil pump drive. The CMP/Synch sits on top.