Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Just bought a 98

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 12:04 PM
Default Just bought a 98

I've had my '98 XLT for 2 weeks now and I have a few questions I hope you guys can help me with. First one has to do with the keyless entry/keys. My actual key will NOT unlock my doors. I can only use the remote. I only have one remote and I'm looking to get a second one for the spare set. Any idea as to why it won't unlock the door?
The second question has to do with my driver door. It seems that the car doesn't detect the driver door. For example, if I leave the lights on, it won't beep and the door ajar light comes on for all the doors but that one. It's no big deal just curious about that. My biggest concern is the key issue as I've already had to break into my own car.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:21 PM
Default RE: Just bought a 98

Does the key unlock the passenger door? Guess not if you had to break in. Does the key turn in the lock? If not, then it may have had the ignition tumbler replaced and they did not cut the key correctly for the door. Any dealer can check the key code and see if the key is cut right. If it turns the lock, then someone may have tried to slim-jim the doors and knocked the rod off at the latch assembly inside the door. Doubt if it is the latch assembly, if you can lock and unlock with the remote. The other problem sounds like a door ajar switch or wiring. The switch it attached at the door latch assembly. It may also be unplugged---maybe by someone trying to slim-jim the door?

Old 11-30-2007, 05:39 PM

Thanks for that info....Anyone know where to find the entry code on the 98's?? I've looked in the places the other posts suggest for other years but didn't find anything. If I can avoid going to the dealer, I'd like to even though I'll eventually have to go about the keys. TIA

Old 12-01-2007, 10:56 AM

The RAP module is located in the left rear quarter panel on your vehicle. You can access it by opening the spare tire/jack storage compartment and looking up and forward you will see a module. The code is on a label on that module. Another way is while your at the ford dealer, have them access the code with the NGS or IDS equipment.