Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

AC problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 10:54 AM
Default AC problem

I have noticed that my AC "quits" in my Explorer when I go uphill and returns when I level out. I don't think it is a condenser problem i.e. I still have cold air but cant rule that out. Perhaps a fan problem because there is no air when it occurs. I have a previous thread re Temp Control Module and perhaps there is a relation.
Any help on either thread greatly appreciated!

Old 09-07-2017, 11:06 AM

Can you be more specific?
When you say quits, exactly what happens?
Does it stop blowing?
Does it stop blowing out the A/C ducts and go to the defrost ducts?
The more info the better.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:26 PM

Thanks hanky,
Yes, it stops blowing out of the center ducts.
I do hear the fan going when it stops...it very well might be blowing out of the defrost ducts. Today when I am in the truck and it (hopefully) happens I will see if it is blowing out of the defrost ducts. If it is, what could be the issue?
I'll get back to you asap! Tnx again, sg944t

Old 09-07-2017, 02:38 PM
Default AC problem

Hanky,
Attempting to quick reply but system seems to be hanging.
More specifically, the AC stops blowing cold air out of the center ducts.
I have noticed the fan seems to be running. I will check if air is coming out of the defrost ducts today when I am in the truck and if it happens.
Just curious as to what you may suspect is the problem given this new info.
Thanks,
sg944t

Old 09-07-2017, 09:01 PM

If your vehicle uses vacuum to operate the directional doors ,when vacuum is reduced for whatever reason the system is designed to default to defrost mode as a safety function.
If vacuum is insufficient due to leaks or vacuum drops when throttle is opened or faulty vacuum motors the system could go to defrost mode. Most systems have a vacuum reservoir and check valve so this does not happen. Some more checking of the above may be required to make sure everything is functioning correctly.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:19 PM

Thank you very much for the info. I will run it by my mechanic and hopefully he can address it. He seems to think the problem is with the Temp Control Module but he might not have much experience with Explorer. Otherwise I guess its off to Ford....aargh!
Much appreciated
-Scott