Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

2002 Explorer Radio / Sound Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 02:57 PM
Default 2002 Explorer Radio / Sound Issue

Frustrated - hope someone can help

current setup - explorer stock radio with 6-disc changer no subwoofer

sound in drivers side speaker only - all speakers have been tested and they are good. checked both radio fuses under drivers dash - they are ok

tried to replace radio (from crutchfield) and new radio has no display or sound. Tech support says Red Power Wire on harness is not getting power but yellow wire that goers to battery is working.

Tech support says it might by the 6amp resistor under the drivers dash is blown but he doesnt know where it is located.

any suggestions?

Old 01-30-2012, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up

Welcome to the site..

Any steering wheel controls?

The 6a is integrated into the Central Junction Box. Are the accessory delays working? like P/W, interior light ect. untill the drives door is opened. Depending on early/late build, you should see 12v at the radio connector on the BK/PK wire there if the feed through the 6a is active (switched). WH/YE should be 'hot at all times' and (build dependent) 'hot in start' will be on WH/PK or GY/YE.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Welcome to the site..

Any steering wheel controls?

The 6a is integrated into the Central Junction Box. Are the accessory delays working? like P/W, interior light ect. untill the drives door is opened. Depending on early/late build, you should see 12v at the radio connector on the BK/PK wire there if the feed through the 6a is active (switched). WH/YE should be 'hot at all times' and (build dependent) 'hot in start' will be on WH/PK or GY/YE.
The only steering wheel controls are for the Cruise Control, which works fine.
My accessory delays are working. I dont have a voltage meter to check the wires, but I can get one. is that the next suggested course of action?

Thank you so much for all your help

Old 02-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Just a 12v continuity/test light should be all you'd need..

Need to know if those wires on the radio connector are active. If not, we can go from there..

Old 02-24-2012, 10:21 AM

Sorry this post has been negeltected, but I have been so busy at work I didnt have time to test.

I tested the continuity last night and confirmed that the wires on the radio are NOT active.

Thanks again for your help