Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

95 Explorer red-lining with O/D light flashing?!?!?!

Old 01-21-2006, 09:56 PM
Default 95 Explorer red-lining with O/D light flashing?!?!?!

hey guys. new to the forum here. just had a question:

my O/D light came on 2 days ago on my 95 automatic 4x4 explorer xlt, and it is now flashing constanly. but HOLD ON! its not the normal problem when this happens. the car runs perfectly, EXCEPT that when i go from stop to go, the car stays in 1st gear and will go all the way to the rev limiter unless i let go of the gas pedal a couple inches, then itll shift properly to second or moslty third...but its still a pain. on the freeway, or ANYWHERE past 3rd gear, its fine. just went 200 miles today on freeway and drove good. its just having trouble selecting gears out of 1st. itll work fine if im on a flat road going grandma speed, but anything else, itll hold up in 1st until i let go of the gas to get it to shift. i reset the computer by unhooking the battery. took off the O/D light, but went 1/2 mile and still had problem come back and light back on. i checked the speed sensor like on many other forums, but the OHM reading was correct and my speedo is accurate. PLEASE HELP! im poor

Old 01-30-2006, 05:33 PM
Default RE: 95 Explorer red-lining with O/D light flashing?!?!?!

im having the same problem, please post sollution if you fix it, and ill do the same, i havent had much help, thanks jeremy

Old 01-31-2006, 08:46 PM

that is the way most cars are i takes a while for a car to shift if your heavy on the peddle also you dont really say what is wrong or what u have tried to fix the over drive light maybe as simple as hitting the button or u might have to rewire the switch

Old 03-03-2006, 10:59 PM

We just bought our son a 94 Explorer a couple weeks ago...upon driving it home, noticed that it wouldn't shift into first without letting up on the gas just a little. A high school kid with a Taco Bell salary can't afford to keep pumping money into this car on a trial and error basis. Anyway, he found someone who actually knew what the problem was...the transmission was not flushed correctly when it was done last time????if ever! We took it in today and had the transmission flushed and i think they cleaned a modulator??? the whole bit costs us about $74.95 here in Alaska so I don't think it would be as expensive elsewhere. It really seems to have fixed the problem and we've driven it around a while today....