Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

2002 Explorer Wheel Studs breaking???

Old 08-03-2009, 04:26 AM
Question 2002 Explorer Wheel Studs breaking???

I own a 2002 Explorer I have always loved my Explorers (I have owned 4) I'm very shocked, and even more scared. I have had the wheel studs 3 of them each time break off TWICE. The first time we had just gotten off the highway to pull into a resturant. The second time we had been on vacation in the mountains in Colorado returned to the hotel and 3 tuds broken again. Less then 2000 mile on the studs from the first time having them replaced. What is going on with these trucks?? Anyone know? I cant even drive this truck now I'm scared to death of it. We had it shipped home to Michigan from Colorado we rode the train this has cost me over $3500 in one month. This is just not fair!! I have always owned Fords and have never had a problem (we own 8 Fords now) but this truck is the worst I have ever owned. I started checking and I'm not the only person who is having this problem. http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Ex...el_studs.shtml

Please if anyone can help me Email me at sylentrun@yahoo.com
I would like to fix this problem and be able to enjoy my truck again
Thank You

Old 08-10-2009, 03:41 AM

I personally never heard of or seen this issue with the Explorers. Out or curiosity are you running stock tires and rims? As ask this because oversized tires on farther than OEM spec'd off-set can add to the stress applied to the wheel stud and wheel bearings. Any type of lubricant on the studs can cause the lug nuts to loosen and cause the stud to flex and break. This would be more apt to happen on the right side as the lug nuts are right hand threads and centrifical force is in action.