Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

5r55e rebuild kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 11:56 PM
Default 5r55e rebuild kit

Hi I am new to this forum and was wondering if someone could recommend the best quality rebuild kit for a 5r55e transmission.
Thanks, andy.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:42 AM

Hi Andy,
Some info first if we can,
Is this your first shot at a auto trans?
Do you have a few of the better things available to do a decent job, like a large clean work area to lay out your parts as removed?
Some necessary means to clean the outside of the trans before disassembly and after disassembly to check parts for wear and condition?
Clutch spring compressor, maybe a holding fixture, seal and bushing remover and installer tools .
The quality of your repair is dependent on your facilities and info not just parts replacement.
If all this is covered, there are several kits available from different providers and sometimes it is better to purchase locally in case there are differences that need to be addressed and can more easily be handled close by than now waiting to get something addl you might need and forgetting how it came apart while waiting for your addl parts to arrive..
If no one else offers suggestions and you still have some questions, maybe , I might be able to offer some help, maybe!

Two suppliers you might consider,
Transtar Industries
ATP Automotive (Can be purchased locally, ie Rock Auto)
Of course there is always the Ford dealership.

Last edited by hanky; 03-22-2018 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:23 PM
Default 5r55e rebuild kit

Thanks Hanky, Luckily my friend is a retired mechanic and has a fully equipped workshop. If i can keep him off the beer i think we will be able to get the job done. He has not worked on the 5r55e before. Any advice on what to look out for would be greatly appreciated. I live in Tasmania, Australia and dont have access to the after market spares that you have available in the USA so I will be purchasing online and shipping over here. To purchase spares from Ford in Australia is just too cost prohibitive hence the request for best options. thanks for your reply and will look forward to any further advice. Andy.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:26 PM

You might plan on hiding the beer ,for a short while, and bring lots of coffee or tea and Rolaids.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:56 AM
Default 98 Ford Explorer Rear sway bar bushes

Hi, Cant seem to find rear sway bar bushings for 98 Explorer. Anyone know where i can purchase them?
Thanks, andy.