Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

would hot coolant temp effect transmission???? it acts up when warmed up

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 12:29 AM
Default would hot coolant temp effect transmission???? it acts up when warmed up

Hi,

would hot coolant temp effect transmission???? it acts up when warmed up

2001 sport trac 4wd 4.0L sohc auto

any help would be great thanks

Old 04-22-2007, 02:16 AM
Default RE: would hot coolant temp effect transmission???? it acts up when warmed up

On some of the vehicles I've owned, the overdrive won't kick in until the temp gets up to normal range. Hope this helps.

Old 04-22-2007, 05:12 AM
Default RE: would hot coolant temp effect transmission???? it acts up when warmed up

if your transmission is automatic then coolant temp plays a big part in transmission performance keep in mind your transmission fluidgoes through the radiator to cool down then returned to transmission so if the tranny fluid gets up there and the engine coolant is hotter then normal it will raise the temp of your tranny fluid before it goes back to the tranny. at the very least it wont be cooling down in a over heated radiator!! If the engine doesnt seem to over heat or anything though id be looking into possible transmission fluid flow problems such as clogged trans filter , clogged lines and or trans cooler. hope this helps good luck...

Old 04-22-2007, 02:51 PM

ORIGINAL: 91explorer12323

if your transmission is automatic then coolant temp plays a big part in transmission performance keep in mind your transmission fluidgoes through the radiator to cool down then returned to transmission so if the tranny fluid gets up there and the engine coolant is hotter then normal it will raise the temp of your tranny fluid before it goes back to the tranny. at the very least it wont be cooling down in a over heated radiator!! If the engine doesnt seem to over heat or anything though id be looking into possible transmission fluid flow problems such as clogged trans filter , clogged lines and or trans cooler. hope this helps good luck...

Thanks for the advise--

I did the hoses, thermostat, flush and fill this morning-- so farI cannot get cooling system to get overly hot. (wife says neeedle on guage is back to normal position) I drove around for 15 miles trying to get it to act up and it seems fine now. I need to top off radiator ,as it seems ther must have been some air in system after flush and fill. I should know if this was the cure this week, as My wife has to drive me to Physical therapy every day this week(long story short- severely broken leg back at thanksgiving. and had to have knee worked on this past week.) very hard to work on car when limping around- job tok 4 hrs instead of the 1hr I thought it should have taken.

Thanks again. I will post here with results.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:44 AM

glad its running better, i hope it stays that way for you guys! good luck with the car and the leg therapy, keep us posted if any other problems come up.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:49 PM

so far so good. the truck is running smoothly now, but I am keeping a close eye on it.
the guy at auto zone said to put some lucas additive in it...??? I don't know if I will try that. I may just get the trans backflushed and filled with fresh fluid to get everything tip top again.
I think aamco or cottman does it for $99 for the life of the car or something like that.

Thanks for the Help

Old 05-02-2007, 10:29 PM

Lucas is pretty goodstuff butim in agrement with you on the just getting the thing some fresh fluid and filter certainly couldnt hurt. Im glad to here its working as it should now but keep an eye on things like you have been, seems like stuff like that will always bite you in the butt when you least expect it..