Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

2001 Ford F-150 xlt 5.4 Triton Burning plugs

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 06:03 PM
Default 2001 Ford F-150 xlt 5.4 Triton Burning plugs

Hey so I recently replaced all the plugs on my 5.4 triton and some had the Dorman head inserts. In the cylinders with that I put E3 plugs but in the last 5 days they have gone from brand new to charred with a carbon build up and some with the electrodes blown out. This was a plug that just yesterday was almost brand new. Not even 50 miles on it. Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

Old 12-08-2017, 03:25 AM

I don't know about advice, but What kind of fuel are you using and are you adding any additives to the fuel?
Sometimes someone will put too much anti-sieze on the plugs on installation and that creates more problems than it prevents.

Old 12-08-2017, 04:56 PM

[QUOTE=hanky;105328]I don't know about advice, but What kind of fuel are you using and are you adding any additives to the fuel?
Sometimes someone will put too much anti-sieze on the plugs on installation and that creates more problems than it prevents.[/QUOTE

I’m using 87 octane with no additives.
I was installed this set of plugs and didn’t go over kill on anti-seize when putting them in.

Old 12-09-2017, 03:53 AM

A couple of questions,
Are the plugs the correct heat range for the vehicle?
If all the plugs are being affected, excess carbon could indicate an overfueling condition
What kind of miles are on the vehicle /engine?
Is the vehicle with an automatic trans or stick?
Question of head inserts , if enough heat is not being removed from the plugs , that is the result seen. Suspect a torque/tightening problem.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:06 AM

The plugs were meant to go into the head inserts which are also built for the 5.4. They are meant as a easy permanent fix to a plug blow out. The truck has 166000 about. So far only 2 plugs have gone out a few days apart. It also a automatic.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:57 AM

The reason I inquired whether it was auto or stick was , some folks will have a tendency to lug the engine instead of downshifting and that can have an effect on the engine and plugs.

The plugs that are being destroyed, could they be the ones that have the inserts?
There may be more to this , As a suggestion why not try Motorcraft plugs?
We're hunting and poking here, could you kinda bring us up to speed as to everything that went on from the beginning ? The entire/whole story is necessary because what may seem not important could have a lot to do with what is going on. Thanks !

Last edited by hanky; 12-09-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:58 AM

They are from the inserts.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:24 AM

If it is only those with the inserts, that should be where we concentrate on why they are overheating. I am aware of what is involved with installing those inserts, only I have some reservations with some of Dorman's stuff and either they are not removing the heat from the plugs or,,,,,,,because you might be reluctant to torque them down enough they are not passing the heat to the head and cooling system. What do you think?

Old 12-09-2017, 12:31 PM

I was thinking it could be a clogged injector but wouldn’t that cause performance issues right when I installed the plugs? I’ll try re-torquing them all with new plugs and see if that solves it. Thank you for the advice.

Old 12-09-2017, 01:05 PM

Depending on the extent of clogging, not impossible, but also kinda iffy to be only those with the inserts.
Considered if the inserts were installed too deep where piston could contact plug tip, but plug does not appear damaged where contact would have occurred.

Quick Reply: 2001 Ford F-150 xlt 5.4 Triton Burning plugs