Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Miss Firing

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 06:26 PM
Default Miss Firing

I have a F150, 2006 king ranch, 4x4, 5.4l engine, crewcab. I recently had miss firing with no code. Finally the engine light came on. I had the code read and it was for the oxygen sensor, bank 1. Then the engine light cleared. Can anyone tell me if this can be changed without going to Ford, where this sensor is located and the Ford P/N? Any help will be deeply appreciated.

Tks

Old 10-03-2012, 06:03 PM

Do you have the exact code number? There are 2 sensors on bank 1. It is a DIY job to replace the sensor. More than likely the misfire is what caused the O2 sensor to trip a code. You may need a high end scan tool that can monitor the engine misfire in real time and find the root cause of the problem. Good luck.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:20 AM
Default miss firing

Thank you for the responce. according to the analysizer, it was the 1st sensor on bank one. The one just after the exhaust manifold. I will check this further.

Tks, again

Old 10-04-2012, 07:24 PM
Default Miss Firing

After further investigation and speaking with the person who read the code, he advided that the code indicated the sensor was sensing the the burning of rich gas. Therefore the oxygen sensor was not the issue. Can anyone tell me what would cause the improper mixture of air and gas.. I have replaced all 8 coils and the mass air flow sensor and the miss firing still occurs. Any help will be appreciated.

My problem is that the miss firing has set the code twice in 2 years and then clears itself. No Ford dealer will touch the truck without the code.

Tks.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:57 PM

Could you let us know what the mileage is on the present spark plugs in it?

Old 10-05-2012, 08:52 PM

Tks for the reply. I have 47.5k miles. The plugs are original. I change my oil every 4k miles and use synthetic oil. I have the transmission service every year. I do have a cold air system on the truck but the problem was before the system and remain the same after the system. I believe it has no effect on this issue.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:24 PM

I'll go out on a branch here (just a little) and say that with this engine and its WONDERFUL sparkplugs, I'd start with a tune-up (just replace the plugs) and forget about it. I can practically gaurantee that this will take care of it. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.
This truck came equipped (O.E.) from the factory with plugs that are no longer availble (they have been through 2 revisions, and still suck). It was common on the trucks to hear this problem, and if they idle for long peroids of time, this wears the plugs down even faster.
Get a tune done (and hope they don't break), and I'll bet the problem goes away. It'd be hard to imagine another problem with this truck, with milage so low. I've seen it, but you have to start somewhere.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:07 PM
Default miss firing

Thank you for the information for having the plugs replaced. It seems strange to me that this problem only occurs between 1100 RPM in 4th gear at between 40 and 55 mph and not any other time in the performace of the truck and transmission. Also it cost ~$500 to have the plugs replaced if none of them break.

I have an appointment at a reputable machanic on Wed for him to diagnose to see if he can determine the problem. If it requires to chnage the plugs, I will do this and report back.

Tks to all who have given me advise.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:37 AM

If you are going to replace the plugs yourself do your homework and get all the info you can as to what the problems are and how to prevent them, if possible. It's not a difficult job to replace those plugs, but it can be if you are not aware of the best methods and one of the plugs separates before you get it out.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:21 PM

Thank you on the information on changing the plugs by myself. I have done a lot of research on the F150 with all the terrable stories of broken plugs. For me I do not understand what the Ford engineers had in their head when they used those kind of spark plugs. If I decided to do it myself, i will purchase the extracting tool in case of a breakage. I'll wait to hear form the mechanic on Wed.

Tks again

Quick Reply: Miss Firing