Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

2010 F150 Cruise Control

Old 11-30-2010, 08:19 AM

2010 XL standard cab 3v V8. AM/FM. The wheel came off a 2009 and plugged in easily.
The tech said all the buttons are transmitting, including the "ON". It, the "ON", just says not available. Sounds like the PCM expects another component before it "allows" the cruise control to turn "ON".

Here is the troubleshooting that needs to be done. As soon as I get back home on Friday....

If he checked it with a ford IDS scan tool and checks the circuit to find that the on switch is functional by isolating the circuit and manually checking it with a DVOM and finds the on switch functional-then he should contact Ford engineering and have Hotline assist him with the issue.He should know to do that if he is a dealer tech.That is what I would have to do because there is nothing else in the circuit except the PCM,the clockspring,the switches and the wiring.In any case here is the wire he has to check.It is the WH wire (ckt VS10 )at connector C218a in the steering column which goes to the RH kick panel in C214.He should also have access to the same information that I just gave you and be able to fix this.It seems he stopped in midstream and I don't understand why he didn't continue using the people and info that we all have access to.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Default Everyone's Current Status / Success

OK so let me recap.

Jack2of3 Has actually installed and had the new stuff programmed, but needs to troubleshoot the issue with the Not Available light. I am clueless about all the diagnostic stuff you were talking about, but hey, seems goofy to me these guys can figure it out easily.

Butopia (me) has the new wheel with the buttons, but not going to take it in until I have a clue what to ask for in detail.

rbrothers is also considering but doesn't have new wheel yet.

I was out today and have not called the cruise control guys back to discuss. rbrothers, if you thinking of going the expensive route they might tak to you as part of the order.

Great little mystery to figure out. We'll get it yet.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:21 PM
Cool 2010 F150 Cruise out of control

Good news, bad news.
First the good. The steering wheel I bought works fine.
The Ford tech swapped it with a brand spanking new one in a 2010 F150 with cruise control and it worked. The steering wheel from the New 2010 did not work in my truck. So the steering wheel is not the issue.

The Ford tech also re-programmed the PCM. Same result. Recognizes the buttons but on and off say not available.
He also checked everything in the Cruise control circuit. CLock spring, brake cutoff, etc. All operational.

He even contacted the technical hotline at Ford. They responded in writing and I quote. " Adding cruise control to this vehicle if it was not originally equipped with it is not a supported modification by the Technical Hotline. The Technical Hotline cannot provide any further assistance with this concern".

So they didn't say it can't be done just that they won't help.

Maybe one of you guys will persevere. The Ford tech said he isn't giving up and will continue on his own time to try and figure it out.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:56 PM
Default Holy stonewall Batman!

" Adding cruise control to this vehicle if it was not originally equipped with it is not a supported modification by the Technical Hotline. The Technical Hotline cannot provide any further assistance with this concern".

So they didn't say it can't be done just that they won't help.

You have GOT to be kidding. (I know you're not).

Well bummer. I'll give rbrothers $25 towards his $300 wheel if my wheel is all that is needed and there is some secret code stuff the cruisecrontrol guys have to make this work.

Based on my research to dates, it sure seems this should work, and it's just a software/programming issue.

The fact that you were able to get the wheels switched and it works with your wheel on the other vehicle is a real eye opener, but doesn't reveal if there is any hardware needed. There has to be a printed manual somewhere that documents all of this.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:12 AM

At least the dealer didn't charge me for the 1.5 hours they spent checking stuff. The more I think about all the parts and pieces it does seem like it is just a programming issue. I actually had a dream about putting it into Test mode and switching it to control the radio which would be really weird since it is a manual radio.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:13 PM

Anybody gonna pull the trigger and try to get it working?
Keeping the thread alive.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:54 AM

I'm. Thinking about it your situation has got me all paranoid now. The thing that i am curious about is getting the "correct" programming instructions from the technician.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:22 AM
Default Spoke with a PCM/ECU sales shop

Took the truck to another dealer. Their guy said I need an additional module. Not sure what that means.
I then called the PCM guys that sell PCM, ECUs etc. They said the dealer probably just loaded the program assigned to my VIN which would not have cruise control from the factory.
The word of caution is to insure programming the vehicle with a different VIN program does not void the warranty.
May just go aftermarket unless somebody knows what the !?!:<< is supposed to be done.
Send me a PM with your email and I will forward the instructions to you that worked on the 2009 F150 XL

Last edited by Jack2of3; 12-27-2010 at 11:52 AM. Reason: adding instructions
Old 12-27-2010, 12:36 PM
Default Programming Instructions

Decided it would be easier to just type them over and upload.

Attached Files
Old 12-27-2010, 12:38 PM
Default 2009-2010 cruise control programming instructions

retyped the instructions and the contact info at the dealer that did it successfully for someone else.

Attached Files

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 F150 Cruise Control