Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford F-150 (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-f-150-14/)
-   -   2014 Ford f150. Got check engine light, replaced spark plugs and won't start (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-f-150-14/2014-ford-f150-got-check-engine-light-replaced-spark-plugs-wont-start-39689/)

Ccavalieri5 03-14-2019 09:26 AM

2014 Ford f150. Got check engine light, replaced spark plugs and won't start

Question type: Maintenance & Repair

Hello all,
I have a 2014 Ford f150 with 50k on it, do not have warranty!. Recently got a
check engine light and brought it to auto zone to have it read. Came back as
random engine misfired. Recommended was to replace spark plugs and coils.
I ended up doing all 8 spark plugs and disconnect the battery to reset the
code. It started right up with no code. Next day starts up a little rough but
smoothed out after warming up. I drive to work and then when I go to leave
work it cranks but it doesnt fire up. I got a tow home. I then recheck: to make
sure all the spark plugs are tight, all the coils are set properly and connected
to wiring harness, checked to make sure I hear the fuel pump starts up, as
well as the fuel pump fuse #27 ( I believe that's the number that it was) and
cleaned my mass air flow sensor. I try to start it up and still no start. I smell
gas so I know the pump has to be working. I also try to check every fuse
possible that could be related including switching some of the relays related
to ignition and fuel. Can't think I of anything else other then to possibly put
the old spark plugs back in and see if it starts. Also thinking maybe fuel filter?
Any ideas?

hanky 03-15-2019 05:59 AM

If you smell fuel, there is a good chance fuel is getting to the engine. So for now skip the fuel filter.
What you might try,
remove any spark plug and see if it is wet or dry.
If it is dry, fuel is not getting to the cyls.
If it is wet , could be two possibilities, no spark or contaminated fuel.
If the fuel on the spark plug will burn when you attempt to lite it with a match ,it should burn in the engine.
I would remove another spark plug and see if it is wet also, if so chances are there is a no spark problem. Did you check all the fuses, those inside the vehicle and those under the hood?
What did you use to clean the MAF sensor? Unplug it and see if the vehicle will start.

Ccavalieri5 03-15-2019 03:02 PM

I checked most of the fuses under the hood that where related to starting or ignition. not the interior ones, which i will check tonight.
I used CRC mass air flow sensor cleaner. tried unplugging it and it still didn't start.
checked the spark plug to see if it was wet, it was wet and i smell the fuel on it, it didn't light with a match but it was filled all the way up two weeks ago and its down to a quarter tank now so i don't think that the gas is bad.
I also randomly tried to take the fuel pump fuse #27 out and try to start it up. it cranks for a few seconds and then started and then putted out after 3-5 seconds which it doesn't do with the fuel pump fuse in.
not sure what can cause this. any ideas?

hanky 03-15-2019 04:07 PM

Something you might try
When ready to start it , hold the gas pedal all the way down to the floor. That will place it in clear flood mode. Crank it some and see if it finally starts, then. If it does, just hold the pedal down until it revs up some and clears out. If it starts see how it runs. If it doesn't start let us know and we'll go from there.

It is unusual for fuel injected engines to get flooded, but it does happen. The object is to find out why because it can damage the catalytic converter.

Ccavalieri5 03-16-2019 12:11 PM

hello tried holding down the gas and pumped it a little and it started right up. was very rough and the engine light came on ran it for about a minute and turned it off. i still smell a little gas after turning it off.
also forgot to tell you that the spark plugs that they gave me originally where the wrong ones and i brought them back and put new oem ford plugs in, they gave me it for free due to inconvenience. also manager said that it shouldn't have caused the problem, also called ford themselves they said it shouldn't have caused a problem either. not sure if this caused the initial issue but thought id tell you.

hanky 03-16-2019 02:35 PM

Usually, the wrong plugs don't prevent it from starting, but will give performance problems.

I suspect there is still a problem with the MAF sensor.
If for instance the MAF sensor is providing false info to the PCM like, more air is coming into the engine than really is, the PCM thinks it has to allow more fuel in and that can cause it to run rich, even very rich. You will probably have a code in the computer's memory showing that.
It appears you will need to replace that MAF sensor. Some can be cleaned and some don't work properly no matter how they were cleaned.
Something to consider, If that sensor is causing excess fuel to be injected to compensate for a false air reading, replacing the sensor early on can prevent a really expensive converter replacement due to it becoming clogged by the excessive heat created (melts the substrate) trying to clean up the rich exhaust.
Also, a second opinion never hurts and might reduce some of your concerns.