Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

2018 F150 Transmission/misfire issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 02:46 PM

Well another Ford Dealership found major issues. I will update you guys in a day or two once I get all this figured out. All issues I had were found....but the Ford Engineer couldn't find. Terrible!!!

Old 08-10-2018, 08:40 AM

I took my F150 to another dealership. Immediately they found issues:

1. tsb called for the reprogramming of the engine control module and the transmission control module. also, re-calibrate the adaptive shift points.
2. the noise I kept hearing under my truck when accelerating / lack of power: thought it was the oil pump but they ended up replacing the ENTIRE engine....had a knock in the bottom end of the engine due ot excessive oil consumption. ....they said it was a long block replacement with a new engine (I am still going to verify this....hope it isn't a rebuilt engine )

service manager stated that the oil consumption is a common issue lately with these new V8 engines and 10 speed trans.

My question for them is....is the oil consumption issue fixed on this new engine or will I run into the same issue??

Hope this helps you all with the same issues. I am going to fight to still trade this truck in...i dont want it, regardless of a new engine. It de-values it (car fax report I am sure) and I know other parts of the truck had to be working overtime if the engine had these issues.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:22 PM
Default Noise and oil usage

I have a 2018 fx4, 5.0, 10 speed. I started noticing a intermittent backfire sound on deceleration, after shifting. Like accelerating to pass as an example. Took to dealer at 4200 miles, they did the tsb 18-2345. It was supposed to reset transmission and take care of the ratcheting sounds at low rpm's.
I was told to drive it for a week and see what happens. The service sheet stated that there was complete fluid check at the time.
The truck still would do the pop sound. I checked the oil 5 days after the service and oil was at the very tip of stick.
It is now back at dealership. Awaiting an explanation and with a loaner . It has 4600 miles..Any advice?

Old 02-20-2019, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by BigB
I have a 2018 fx4, 5.0, 10 speed. I started noticing a intermittent backfire sound on deceleration, after shifting. Like accelerating to pass as an example. Took to dealer at 4200 miles, they did the tsb 18-2345. It was supposed to reset transmission and take care of the ratcheting sounds at low rpm's.
I was told to drive it for a week and see what happens. The service sheet stated that there was complete fluid check at the time.
The truck still would do the pop sound. I checked the oil 5 days after the service and oil was at the very tip of stick.
It is now back at dealership. Awaiting an explanation and with a loaner . It has 4600 miles..Any advice?
I wish I had an answer for you. Your oil pump might be default as that is why they replaced my entire engine and said it is a common theme with 2018 models. It is using up oil and had metal in the oil as well as engine knocking. Ironically, since this past weekend I am having the backfire and pop sounds when I decelerate or when I shift from like reverse to drive. I still experience a rattling underneath the body ONLY during a cold start when I give it fast and release the pedal. My cooling fan continues to kick on and run extremely loud which no truck in 2018 should sound like a 1985 Volswagen Rabbit. I have been to the dealership over 10 times and everytime they CANNOT reproduce the noises or issues. Its amazing b/c as soon as I get back in the truck I hear them. It is Ford's way of saying they dont know what it is or cannot fix it WITHOUT taking fault for their lack of remedy.
I would look into a lemon law lawyer or BBB. I expect better from Ford and their service departments.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by dominatorwvu
I wish I had an answer for you. Your oil pump might be default as that is why they replaced my entire engine and said it is a common theme with 2018 models. It is using up oil and had metal in the oil as well as engine knocking. Ironically, since this past weekend I am having the backfire and pop sounds when I decelerate or when I shift from like reverse to drive. I still experience a rattling underneath the body ONLY during a cold start when I give it fast and release the pedal. My cooling fan continues to kick on and run extremely loud which no truck in 2018 should sound like a 1985 Volswagen Rabbit. I have been to the dealership over 10 times and everytime they CANNOT reproduce the noises or issues. Its amazing b/c as soon as I get back in the truck I hear them. It is Ford's way of saying they dont know what it is or cannot fix it WITHOUT taking fault for their lack of remedy.
I would look into a lemon law lawyer or BBB. I expect better from Ford and their service departments.
I know the engine is noisy on mine. I think the best explanation is that there is 16 fuel injectors-2 per cylinder. There is a high pressure fuel pump. That can make for a diesel sound..
My opinion is that Ford is over engineering a good engine. I understand that they have to keep up with fuel economy and environmental standards. Meanwhile it may just be a few bad engines. Or bad design all together. This is my fourth new F150 since 1999 but it could be the last. I would like to think that they will make it right, since I have really enjoyed it.

Old 02-20-2019, 11:35 PM

Here's something to ponder and maybe why Ford is dragging their feet...

I wonder how well Ford tested the durability of the thin coating of spray-on bore liner (Plasma Transferred Wire Arc) that replaces normal sleeves for aluminum blocks? The loss of normal liners saves about 8 lbs on the engine weight and increases the true displacement from 4.95L to 5.04L (from what I have read). Since this is also done in the 2018 Mustang, I wonder if the Mustang folks are having the same issue.

Old 02-28-2019, 07:04 PM
Default Popping or misfire

Originally Posted by Use Common Sense
Here's something to ponder and maybe why Ford is dragging their feet...

I wonder how well Ford tested the durability of the thin coating of spray-on bore liner (Plasma Transferred Wire Arc) that replaces normal sleeves for aluminum blocks? The loss of normal liners saves about 8 lbs on the engine weight and increases the true displacement from 4.95L to 5.04L (from what I have read). Since this is also done in the 2018 Mustang, I wonder if the Mustang folks are having the same issue.
I got my truck back after being at the dealership for 7days. They are doing an oil consumption test. I checked my oil today and guess what it is overfilled.
Also today the service manager called and informed me that Ford has told them the popping sound is a common thing in this truck. The sound is like a backfire pop. It happens for example if you were to pull out and pick up speed to about 30-40 mph and let off the throttle. And you are in 3rd or 4th gear . Similar to getting up to traffic speed and then letting off. I'm having a hard time believing that this is anywhere normal and no one else is complaining or noticing..

Old 03-03-2019, 11:26 PM

Did you advise the "Service Manager" that the oil was over filled? And the answer was what? "We over fill, so that it's down to the FULL mark by the time you return, so there is no oil consumption problem because the oil is at the FULL mark" (sarcasm towards Ford intended)? Personally, I would start by doing my own COLD and then HOT compression test of each cylinder looking for poor compression that would lead to oil consumption. Also, the engine will have some constant ticking/knocking noise coming from the mechanical fuel pump area since the engine now has Direct Injection.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Use Common Sense
Did you advise the "Service Manager" that the oil was over filled? And the answer was what? "We over fill, so that it's down to the FULL mark by the time you return, so there is no oil consumption problem because the oil is at the FULL mark" (sarcasm towards Ford intended)? Personally, I would start by doing my own COLD and then HOT compression test of each cylinder looking for poor compression that would lead to oil consumption. Also, the engine will have some constant ticking/knocking noise coming from the mechanical fuel pump area since the engine now has Direct Injection.
My trucks oil level was at the full mark Friday. The dealer informed me the sound is common for like made trucks. I'm having a hard time believing that. It has not made the sound much this weekend so I am going to continue with the oil checks. But if the sound continues I am going to another dealership..I feel that there could be an injector staying open too long or something with the VCT ..

Old 03-04-2019, 06:40 AM

I may have missed it somewhere. Just out of curiosity, did the noise start after an oil change? Maybe too light or too heavy weight of an oil installed? I may have missed that somewhere. Just throwing ideas out there and grabbing the straws per say.

I know, I run AMSOIL's P.I. fuel additive (which also lubricates the fuel system and upper cylinder area) in my 2015 3.5 ecoboost and the mechanical fuel pump is barely audible unless I have the hood open. Even then, it's quiet. That's the only noise my engine makes. I also run AMSOIL's 10W-30 Signature oil with dual remote by-pass filtration system, so I have 8 qts oil running thru my system instead of the normal 6 from the added capacity.

Last edited by Use Common Sense; 03-04-2019 at 06:46 AM.

Quick Reply: 2018 F150 Transmission/misfire issue