Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford F-150 (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-f-150-14/)
-   -   2018 F150 Transmission/misfire issue (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-f-150-14/2018-f150-transmission-misfire-issue-37171/)

dominatorwvu 12-10-2017 08:51 AM

2018 F150 Transmission/misfire issue

Hello. I purchased a 2018 F150 lariat back in Sept.

The 10 speed transmission has a serious lack in it as well as what I call a "misfire" from speeds 30-55 mph.

I have taken it to the dealership 3 times. responses each time:
1. drive it another 1000 miles and let the transmission get use to your driving (I guess ford makes learning transmissions now)
2. try driving it in "sport" mode. (i shouldnt have to drive it in any mode other than normal)
3. they never even test drive it to feel the "misfire"....i just took the truck back.

I cannot speak to anyone at the dealership with "decision" making authority. I call and email daily with zero help. Or I get a response of "someone will call you tomorrow and we are having a meeting with the big guy to discuss this situation"

How do I contact someone at regional office or will they side with the dealership?

I dont want this truck. My 2004 with 250K miles drove better than this new one. Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

hanky 12-10-2017 11:02 AM

Believe it or not, the engine computer learns and adjusts to your driving habits and now so does the transmission computer.
If there is a misfire problem present , that is easily confirmed with the dealership or other hi end scan tool.
First who are you speaking with when you register your complaint, Service advisor , Service Mgr, or Janitor?
Insist on speaking with either the Service Mgr or the dealership Owner. The owner is concerned with selling vehicles and negative advertisement doesn't help sell vehicles.
Sometimes "Customer service from the Company falls short and on top of that the dealership is privately owned and Persistence does pay!
Unhappy customers are sometimes difficult to deal with , but Pleasant customers are much easier to greet and work with. If you had your choice, which would you prefer ? It's tough when you fork over a bundle of $$$ and get ignored when your new vehicle doesn't perform as you might expect or there is something not right. What would happen if you were to insist that someone ie., Svc Mgr go for a brief ride to see your concern?

dominatorwvu 12-10-2017 03:31 PM

I have talked with service manager all three times (2 different ones). I have no problem being a pain to them. Is this Ford's first 10 speed transmission? They cannot find a miss fire nor do I with a code reader. I have had 7 different people in my truck. They can feel the misfire/hesitation as well. Even 2 women (i mean that with the utmost best way). Not sure how the dealership or mechanic cannot feel it. This is a very large dealership in florida. largest volume in the state!

hanky 12-10-2017 04:57 PM

Certain criteria need to be met for a code to set and not all will illuminate the check engine light. If you drive it continuously in the speed you feel the misfire it should eventually set a code, however , that is when you might try to see if you can read a code in the memory, BEFORE shutting the engine down. Leave it running .It could be something that feels like a misfire, but is getting erased every time you turn off the key. Can you try that?

When you say hesitation , could that be what you feel and think it is a misfire, ?
It does have drive by wire and there have been problems with that too.

dominatorwvu 12-10-2017 06:47 PM

i can try that.

YES, that is exactly it. It feels like a misfire. RPMs stay steady. But it hesitates (feels like a machine gun/driving over rivets/or like it wants to go but doesnt). I am not a certified mechanic but I know enough to know that it is not normal. i say misfire b/c my 2004 did the same thing until the light finally came on. But it acts like a misfire. Does this make sense? haha.

also, it is only when you are at a steady speed and give it gradual/light pressure on the gas pedal.

Just wonder if its a V8/10 speed transmission thing with the new 2018s.

What is the drive by wire?

dominatorwvu 12-10-2017 06:51 PM

I just watched a video on drive by wire (ECM). makes sense.

hanky 12-12-2017 01:54 PM

Now that you have determined what may be happening, it might be a good idea to ask the Ser Mgr why they can't fix it?

nmdoc 12-14-2017 07:39 PM

Wow. they have 10 speed transmission and it misfires?

https://www.torquenews.com/106/exami...-possibilities

What we are not considering is the new 10-speed automatic transmission, which will be the standard gearbox behind the new 3.0L PowerStroke V6. The Range Rover hits 28mpg on the highway with an 8-speed transmission and four wheel drive, while the most fuel-friendly new F150 will have a 10-speed transmission and rear-drive.

Buzz 01-04-2018 05:11 PM

Same problem

My new 2018 F150 Platinum 5.0L V8 10-Speed has very rough acceleration. I took deliver of it in September 2017 and notice the problem right away. 50% of the time in smooth acceleration the drive train will stutter like there is water in the fuel. There many be multiple stumbles in the acceleration or just one. Climbing up hill the problem is worse. Stumble or stutter in the acceleration if the best way to describe the problem. Sometimes when coming off the gas the transmission will clunk, sounds and feels like a bad U-Join. You can reproduce the stutter most of the time at 40-45, ease off the throttle and easy back into it.

The dealer asked me to put a thousand miles on it to see it it would get better. It didn't. The truck has been at the dealer about a 3 months now off and on. They have me in a demo with the same drive train. The demo has the same problem but not as bad. The are replaced the torque converter in my truck 2 weeks ago and it did not help.

I think this is a fleet issue with this drive train. The Dealer is careful not to acknowledge that the is a problem. I have driven three other 2018 loaner truck and they have the same issue to some degree. Some transmissions will do it at cruise speed. I seems like the engine is missing or transmission is hunting a gear. In cruise it is very subtle like you are on a ruff road but releasing the throttle the road smooths out.

dominatorwvu 01-06-2018 10:53 AM

that is exactly what mine is doing. It JUST started with the clunk when releasing the gas pedal (about 3 days ago). I took it to the ford dealership again this week. Within 2 hours of dropping it off, they called and said it was fixed. stated that they "reset" the PCM, drove it and VERIFIED repair!!! wtf. How can ANYONE not feel how rough it rides and hesitates.

I have talked to the regional office who said they will get back to me by Tues.

Thank you for your input. I will keep you posted with what corporate says on Tues.