Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i need help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 08:50 PM
Default i need help!

i gota 98 f150 and the check engine light started flashin a few days ago.. and the truck sortashakes when i hit the gas.so i took it to auto zone and advanced auto parts and had people look at it they say i gotta cylinder 8 missfire. so i changed all the spark plugs n wires now it is still messin up. somebody said it could be a burnt valve and that would suck. so before i take it to a garage and pay out the butt any body got any suggestions.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: i need help!

What engine?

Did you happen to look at the plugs for an indication as they were being removed? The CEL flashing indicates a misfire severe enough to cause catalyst damage.. Could be lost comp, coil pack, bad injector ect.. Might want to buy an inexpensive comp tester and check before taking it in.. Whats the mileage? Does it smooth as the RPM's are brought up, or just a hard misfire through all ranges? What was the running condition 'prior' to the misfire? any CEL before the misfire?

Old 05-01-2008, 01:23 PM

um i dont really know anything about trucks but my uncle changed all the stuff and he proly checked that stuff. but before all that happened the truck drove pretty smooth the only time it would missfire would be when it rained but after it heated up it would be just fine. when i give it alot of gas to speed up it doesnt missfire bad at all but when im jus cruisin it is bad. i dont even know what CEL is lol.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:02 AM

ORIGINAL: Hayapower

What engine?

Did you happen to look at the plugs for an indication as they were being removed? The CEL flashing indicates a misfire severe enough to cause catalyst damage.. Could be lost comp, coil pack, bad injector ect.. Might want to buy an inexpensive comp tester and check before taking it in.. Whats the mileage? Does it smooth as the RPM's are brought up, or just a hard misfire through all ranges? What was the running condition 'prior' to the misfire? any CEL before the misfire?
In addition, try spraying something like choke cleaner around the base of the upper and lower instake. You may have a bad gasket that's letting air through causing the missfire.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:55 PM

the truck is a v8 im jus gona have my dad take a look at it. he thinks it is the coil pack so it'll get fixed