Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford F-150 (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-f-150-14/)
-   -   Failed state inspection (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-f-150-14/failed-state-inspection-31582/)

ron barbrey 03-27-2014 07:28 PM

Failed state inspection

I have a 1999 F150 4.6 liter Triton Engine, just failed the state inspection.
Work done recently: Removed instrument cluster to troubleshoot digital odometer. Re soldiered and it works fine now. I also replaced the ashtray/soft cup holder and disconnected plug and re connected the cable I thought.
Currently : my failed inspection:1. MIL Bulb Working "fail" bulb circuitry not working 2. Connector Damage "fail" OBDII Dianogstic Link Connector is damaged ? 3. Communication not with the test equipment 4. MIL /commanded on-Codes are stored are P0402 EGR Flow Excessive and P1406- I believe is the DPFE in which I have changed before. Please advise. Do I need to remove the cluster again and replace the check engine light bulb and check the connectors? I have a CAR MD Scanner that said basically the same trouble codes. Do I need to recheck the ashtray connector?( My climate control lights do not work either)Please advise.
Thanks again!

ron barbrey 03-28-2014 09:57 AM

did not realize that this was difficult question?

hanky 03-28-2014 10:47 AM

Hi Ron,
The question isn't difficult, but the correct answer could be !
Why do I feel you know the answer, but just want to make sure before you pull the dash apart again?
It would seem if you didn't have the problem before the repairs and now have them after the repairs, you might want to recheck your work .
Some of the codes you are pulling up should not be affected by the instrument cluster work, but I would think it would be a good idea to correct what you are pretty sure of first. There is a good possibility the cause might be the same as before especially if you used other than OEM parts. Aftermarket parts don't have the best reputation in spite of the advertising money they spend promoting them. Will try to stay close until issues are resolved.

ron barbrey 03-28-2014 11:16 AM

No Sir, I do not have the answer just a little aggravated that is failed the inspection. I have replaced the DPEF before and soon after I replaced it, it still shows the check engine light. But now, when I crank it, the CE light does not illuminate at all. It may be the bulb is out.
Thanks!

hanky 03-28-2014 12:34 PM

So, why not check the bulb. That would be a good first step. Before putting everything back together turn the key on and see what you get. If the light does not illuminate let us know or recheck everything you did to see if you may have dislodged something.
Don't forget to check all the fuses, simple step, but effective!

ron barbrey 03-28-2014 02:45 PM

Thanks again, I will check bulb first and go from there. Thanks!

ron barbrey 04-05-2014 03:43 PM

All, back in town now, was on TDY at FPLA, anyway update: replace bulb in cluster and cleared the MIL. Change the DFPE still the same, check engine light is on. Tried 2 units. I did find the High and Ref input tubes clogged. Cleared and still came on. Also, my truck at idle almost cuts off. and there is moisture inside the tube on the Reference leg of the DPFE.