Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford F-150 (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-f-150-14/)
-   -   I could use a bit of help (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-f-150-14/i-could-use-bit-help-34937/)

grindman 09-09-2016 09:10 AM

I could use a bit of help

I could use a little help with this one y'all. I am working on a 95 or96 Ford f150 XL and I ain't able to get the charging system to work right the gauge says that it is running off of the battery all the time and I have taken the alternator off and had it tested and it tested out to be really good but when I put it back on I get the same thing as before. The next thing I tried was to put one on that came off of a 94 or slightly older and changed the plugs over so that the alternator I had just put on would hook up and hoped for the best and of course it didn't work either so now I don't know what to do so that I can get it to work. If someone could send me the wiring diagram for both a 92 and 96 I will be able to get the charging system working like it's supposed to and I thank you very much in advance .

grindman 09-09-2016 09:34 AM

I have forgotten to ask if the PCM has anything to do with the charging system as well

Hayapower 09-09-2016 09:57 AM

Have you checked charge voltage at the battery?

grindman 09-10-2016 09:29 AM

I believe I got it fixed. Turns out that all I had to do was get the wiring harness off of one of those older trucks and hook it up the way that it was supposed to be the gauge still shows low voltage but I think it is showing the voltage at the battery.

Hayapower 09-10-2016 09:38 AM

Gauge should indicate rate of charge. If the battery was stone dead, jumped, and a heathy charging system should push the needle into the 'sweet' area...

grindman 09-10-2016 09:50 AM

Once upon a time my daddy told me that most of the time an alternator only maintains the battery and takes the load off of it while the engine is running

grindman 09-10-2016 10:04 AM

That was just one of the problems that this truck has. The other one is that it won't let anyone put it fifth gear at any speed without jumping right back out and just as you let out on the clutch and hold it in that gear it doesn't do nothing but grind the teeth for the gear. I think that the synchronizer is bad. And I know that I can get it fixed if I could get the manual on how to do it . Otherwise I would have to find another transmission that has a transfer case behind it

grindman 09-19-2016 08:32 PM

OK I have been working on this stupid truck and finally got the tranny back to together with all the gears working link it should now before I can let it start up I need to know what type of gear oil this thing takes so that I can get it fixed and my boss can get rid of it or have it painted. Either way I Thank y'all for the help. May God bless us all

grindman 10-05-2016 12:33 PM

I am very confused with this darn truck that I am about to lite it up with a friggin match. I ran a compression check on the engine and the compression was really low on three different cylinders that's why it missed the way it did. OK I put the engine out of another truck and took into consideration the year model changes and got it back together and running really good but all that work for nothing if I can't seem to stop it from over heating. Like something put on the wrong water pump or this thing is putting exhaust gasses in the cooling system and it boils the antifreeze. I am going nuts over this because I just can't get it figured out. And I am tired of it getting the best of me. I would love some help with this problem and I appreciate all the help I can get with it.

Hayapower 10-05-2016 02:47 PM

What year/ model did the donor engine come from?
Is the current rig, 95 or 96?