Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford F-150 (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-f-150-14/)
-   -   Twisted rear driveshaft (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-f-150-14/twisted-rear-driveshaft-25417/)

hanky 10-03-2011 03:58 AM

Go for it!

Bullitt94 10-03-2011 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by 77ford400 (Post 65339)
True its a 1/2 ton. but i have seen 1/2 tons do things that even a 3/4 or 1 ton cant do. Its not what you buy its what you can build is my motto :)

I like where your head is at. :)

hanky 10-03-2011 03:57 PM

I hope you're talking about going through mud and stuff and not pulling bobcats and bulldozers.

77ford400 10-03-2011 10:24 PM

Both both going thru mud and rocks and hill climbing and stuff. And i have seen built 1/2 tons pull some heavy weight at tractor pulls. Dropped in a built to the nut* engine and drivetrain Chromoly axels etc and fully boxed frames. Talking alot of money put into it. But it started off as a 1/2 ton and is still classified as a 1/2 ton per D.O.T oddly as it sounds thats why my motto is what it is. Not what you can buy its what you can build. Just cause a 1 ton looks and sounds beefy a 1/2 can out perform it with the right equipment. I have a buddy that i go wheeling with and he has a toyota with a 4.3 chevy V6 with full roll cage and about 6 air shocks on it with solid axel conversion up front.Lockers front and rear with about 12" of lift. And this thing i kid you not can go anywhere and has out wheeled me and has pulled me out of tough spots where i was stuck. Now who would think that a Toyota with all of that can out do a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton (but with that im talking about mud and rocks and hill climbs) Its all in how deep your pockets are lol

hanky 10-04-2011 03:36 AM

Oh, it's fun alright, but it can be an expensive hobby.

77ford400 10-04-2011 07:06 AM

Yes it is lol. I know first hand!! But you gotta pay to play.

Bullitt94 10-05-2011 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by 77ford400 (Post 65397)
I have a buddy that i go wheeling with and he has a toyota with a 4.3 chevy V6 with full roll cage and about 6 air shocks on it with solid axel conversion up front.Lockers front and rear with about 12" of lift. And this thing i kid you not can go anywhere and has out wheeled me and has pulled me out of tough spots where i was stuck. Now who would think that a Toyota with all of that can out do a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton

If you had front and rear locker he might be sucking hind tit for a while. Lockers make a HUGE difference when wheeling.

I was "crawling" up a rocky ravine at an off road park with my Bronco one day, and I had to absolutely rail on it to get it up over these rocks and up the hill using all of my 302. My Bronco also sits on 35's. Right after me comes two 4-banger Jeeps with front and rear lockers. They had 31's I think. They crawled right up with little effort.

Embarassing. I am now in the process of putting front and rear lockers in...

77ford400 10-06-2011 09:10 AM

Yeah i know what you mean about embarrasing!! Having a big engine under the hood and having those pipes just a singing away...... and then comes something with about 1/2 the horsepower and about 1/2 of the torque that you have come up and around you just like it was nothing. And you just sit there and watch and cuss a lil bit.Yeah that has happend to me about 3 or 4 times. And i kinda laugh sometimes because my truck is loud with the exhaust i have on there and it just echos thru out. And its always some one with some stock exhaust that passes me and its quiet lol. And my friend with the toyota has done that to me several times :-)Along with his brother in a 4 banger toyota...... Yeah i need to get lockers front and rear. Just at the moment my cash flow isnt all that great. Being that lockers front and rear will be expensive. I would want a selectabe one like the ARB air locker that way i can set the front one on and make front digs and when needed select the rear and vice versa. And can turn them off when driving on the pavement to go back home. I want more HP and torque for now for pulling and hauling stuff then i will get the lockers for it.