Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford F-150 (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-f-150-14/)
-   -   warranty denied due to LOW mileage... WTH (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-f-150-14/warranty-denied-due-low-mileage-wth-14704/)

Ploquit 10-23-2008 12:27 AM

warranty denied due to LOW mileage... WTH

2005 Ford F150 (nov purchase date)
one owner only
it has 25000 kms

Took it to the ford dealership to have the brakes done. (sticking- ended up being rust)

HOWEVER... because of the low mileage, they said that we misused the vehicle by letting it "sit". So the dealership said the warranty was void and we paid the repair on a credit card, they would not release the vehicle to us otherwise.

I've read and re-read the warranty manual. nowhere is it mentioned that lack of use equals missuse.... there are no aftermarket parts, and we follow the maintenance schedule.

I suspect the dealership didn't even call ford warranty.

How do i get them to honor the warranty... (I wanted to call ford warranty, but they apparently only "talk shop" with dealers, not owners...)

Bullitt94 10-23-2008 08:40 AM

RE: warranty denied due to LOW mileage... WTH

Go on Ford's website and contact them with your issues.

way2old 10-23-2008 09:04 AM

There is a consumer department that handles owners complaints. You may find the number at www.ford.com and they can help you.

Ploquit 10-23-2008 11:27 AM

I've been digging around, found these useful links

How to Get a Warranty Honored - wikiHow

These links are for Canadian (British Columbia) Complaints:

Need to file a complaint against BOTH
- The dealership.
- Ford Motor Company.

File a complaint with BBB
https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/GetStarted.aspx

File Complaint with Consumer Protection Authority of BC
Business Practices and Consumer Protection Authority

File with Small Claims BC
Provincial Court Pilot | Small Claims BC

Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan - Lemon Law
mediation service, auto arbitration - Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan

edit: ford motor company is backing the diagnosis of the dealership. The vehicle has built up rust on the brakes due to not being properly maintained/driven enough. It is not a failure of ford. ARRRRRG WHAT THE HELL!!!

Ploquit 10-24-2008 01:16 AM

I got a really good answer from fordf150.net

anaheim_drew wrote:
One more time...
1.Surface rust did not cause you brakes to stick.
2.Surface rust was an excuse used by the dealership
3.As long as you continue to buy into the rust issue, your claim will go no where.
4.On 2004-2005 trucks, the initial rotors were found to be defective thus causing the issues with the calipers ending with sticking brakes.
5.The fix for this is to replace the brake assembly.. It comes as a complete set up rotors, calipers and brake pads along with new center nuts
6. If all they did was resurface your rotors and used the same pads, this would be 1 area of neglect that is a major part of your claim that they were incompetent
7. TSB...
http://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/fullt...p?tsb=05-21-19

Use Common Sense 10-24-2008 08:10 AM

Brake rotors and pads fall under the "NORMAL WEAR and TEAR" item clause in your warranty. These are normally only covered for 12 months/12,000 miles (19,312Kms) unless you have had an ongoing issue with the brakes during this time frame. After the initial 12/12 time frame, the only thing that would be covered is the calipers and any item(s) damaged due to caliper problems (such as fried wheel bearing, worn pad(s)/rotor due to a HUNG caliper).

What did they repair/replace?

Ploquit 10-24-2008 09:42 AM

WRONG WRONG AGAIN!!!

from page 10 of warranty guide.

Maintenance/Wear:
You as the owner are responsible for these items.
oil changes
cleaning/polishing
engine tune-ups
oil/air filters
tire rotation
oils, lubricants, other fluids

From page 5
Basic Coverage 36 months/60000km
... The complete vehicle is covered under this Basic Coverage, except components listed under the following warranties in this customer information guide, and those items listed under whats not covered under this new vehicle limited warranty.

Also from page 10
Some Maintenance And Wear Items have LIMITED COVERAGE (12month 20,000 km)
Brake pads and linings
clutch disk
wiper blades.

So -what this means is the pads/lining are part of the maintenace. ROTORS are covered under basic Warranty. (And as such rotors on other Ford f15 are being replaced if defective on 2004/2005 trucks)

Ploquit 10-24-2008 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by anaheim_drew
One more time...
1.Surface rust did not cause you brakes to stick.
2.Surface rust was an excuse used by the dealership
3.As long as you continue to buy into the rust issue, your claim will go no where.
4.On 2004-2005 trucks, the initial rotors were found to be defective thus causing the issues with the calipers ending with sticking brakes.
5.The fix for this is to replace the brake assembly.. It comes as a complete set up rotors, calipers and brake pads along with new center nuts
6. If all they did was resurface your rotors and used the same pads, this would be 1 area of neglect that is a major part of your claim that they were incompetent
7. TSB...
http://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/fullt...p?tsb=05-21-19

This was posted for me on Ford f150.net. Finally a real answer.

way2old 10-24-2008 06:26 PM

Use Common Sense isNOT wrong. Nowhere in your posts have you stated that there was a shudder while braking. A TSB is just a short cut repair procedure for the technician and is CUSTOMER PAY. I guess that is a real answer because that is what you wanted to hear. So beware of how you read into things. Be sure you understand all sides. Normal wear or maintenance items, especially brake pads or shoes, are usually warranteed for only 8 to 10 thousand miles. They may warranty for 12 months or 12,000 miles if they feel like it. I argue with dealers every day on warranty issues. So please be sure you understand exactly what thew manual states.

Ploquit 10-24-2008 08:53 PM

(edit: Way2Old. I appologize for being rude. I have read other threads and my guess is you are a mechanic or engineer, as you seem really on the ball for troubleshooting. HOWEVER, I doubt that you are a Ford Warranty Adjuster)

Argue all you want to ....

A Warranty is a legal document.

Brakes are not listed under exclusions... Brake pads are listed under Maintenance and wear, Rotors are not.

They are not denying the warranty because of rust, They are denying the warranty because they equate low mileage with neglect.

I've compared my dad's f150 warranty to my 2007 Ranger warranty and to my 6 Year EXTENDED WARRANTY.

My extended warranty CLEARLY states an WHOLE BUNCH of exclusions, almost everything having to do with brakes are excluded... calipers rotors pads disks...... (and I knew that buying it - i bought it more for doors and latches and electric windows and crap like that- doubled the manufacturer warranty on MOST basic items).

So if ford want to deny based on parts, ie rotors... they need to state it in the warranty. and as i noted above, only pads and lining are excluded from the ford basic 3 year.

The truck sat for one month last summer while my Dad, the F150 owner, was in hospital. and was driven at least 2x per week since then.

OUR problem is they are accusing us of neglect based on the low mileage, and denying us on the misuse clause. (again, nowhere is it stated that a vehicle shall not be allowed to sit for one month or more, else void the warranty).