Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

F-250 Steering Problem

Old 10-22-2012, 06:17 PM
Default F-250 Steering Problem

I have put new tierod ends and ball joints on and I still have problems with it wondering from side to side. What else can be the problem. Local tire shop says they can't find anything else wrong. But it sure drifts from side to side. Any suggestions welcome.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

What year 250,, 4x2, 4x4?

Old 10-22-2012, 09:41 PM

Sorry F-250 SD 4x4 2000 7.2 diesel crew cab

Old 10-22-2012, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

Well,,, first,

Were the old ball joints worn and/or loose? or replaced just to try and correct the wander issue?

Reason for the question,, when using some aftermarket ball joints and when pressed into place on the spindle and tightened/torqued (more so with the lowers, and if over tightened with the lower ball nut) tend to be extra tight or bind when trying to pivot the spindle L to R. Even worse if the old taper portion of the old ball joint spun or wobbled in opening of the spindles bore. A new joint would then install too deep causing a bind. I've seen this happen quite a few times and makes for some pretty severe wandering until the ball joints wear to allow free movement, or corrected.

When you installed the ball joints and assembled the spindle to the axle,, did the spindles turn with a light to moderate pull when moved side to side, or did it take a hardy 'yank' or worse?

Other things could include, too much or excessive steering gear lash. Track bar bushings etc, but a decent tire shop should catch anything obvious. Stiff ball joints can go unoticed, but not always the case for wander problems.. 4 wheel alignment checks have caught thrust or 'tracking' problems. Have had a few out of center that caused a crab walk and wander..

Old 10-23-2012, 08:00 AM

Hayapower

I had a local Goodyear dealer do the work, he has done all my work for the last 30 years and I have been pleased with his work up until now. Any suggestion on where to go, we have a Tire Discounter, I could take it back to a Ford Dealership that is a couple towns away. I thought maybe there was a worm Pitman arm on the steering. I did notice last night there is no steering damper on it. Could this effect it.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

So, how long have you owned this truck? and at 'what point' did the wander develop?

If it was there 'prior' to any major work performed, or continually got worse over time/mileage, then it might have me look for component wear..

If it suddenly started wandering, and after work done, then I'd look at those area's of repair..

If it got worse after ball joint changes,,, The S/D's are hard on ball joints especially lowers,, and if normally worn can cause wander from excessive play or spindle movement,, if the ball joints are replaced and the new joints 'NOW' bind they can cause a wander condition again..

Tires are 'E' rated? all 4 match?

These are heavy trucks,, and sidewall sway and lower inflation pressures of a lesser rated tires can cause a wander, or make it worse, more so with worn steering parts and/or steering box lash..

Generally the steering stabilizer is control head shake, not so much wander issues..

Last edited by Hayapower; 10-23-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:15 AM

Welcome to the site..

Old 11-02-2012, 11:19 AM

If after you have had all the suggestions checked, something to consider, and I believe someone mentioned it in an earlier post. If the rear axle is not in proper alignment with the rest of the vehicle it can drive the vehicle in one direction while you are constantly correcting the steering to compensate. I believe you may need to go to a really experienced shop to determine this. Some "average" shops don't always have the equipment or the expertise to do this right.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

^^^

I did a 99 250 4x4 that had a terrible wander.. The locating pin in the right leaf spring stack was is 'off' meaning drilled in the wrong location.. The truck would dog leg down the road.. I thought it may have been hit and the frame may have a 'diamond' bend, or possibly a bent axle. Put a lazer down the frame, all good. Wheel base measurement wasn't horrible off, but a shot across the rear wheels to the fronts, easily showed the misalignment, both sides

Old 11-02-2012, 07:00 PM

If the sreering links and rod ends are new it must be lash in the gear box or cupped tires .