Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

power locks not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 11:39 AM
Default power locks not working

The power locks are not working. When I hit the button (up or down) it gets power, but does not accuate the locks. All four doors seem to try to lock, but not getting enough power to do the trick. I have checked all the fuses I can find. Is there a relay or something else to check? Thanks for any help.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:01 PM
Default RE: power locks not working

Hey, I have personaly replaced two actuators on a f-250 and one on my f-150, Ford had a big problem with theses acts. the new replacements are much better . there is no relay . i would try to replace one and see if that works (for the on you replaced). I know it sounds stange to say all four went out but i,ve seen it . Another posibily could be a bad ckt(excessive resistance) either ground or power if you have a mulitimeter you should check main power into csm (control security module) black with a white tracer. activae the locks and record the voltage drop,if it is ok i know some pinpoint test you can perform to determine if it is you csm .i hope it helps!

Old 01-21-2008, 10:18 AM

I have plenty of these in stk www.discountedgenuinefordparts.com

Old 01-21-2008, 03:37 PM

Which one would be the easiest to replace on a two door?

Old 01-23-2008, 01:21 AM

on a two door they are about the same difficulty. if i wereyou i would do the passanger side first , so you can let people in with out reaching over. Before you go and buy a 80 actuator, can you hear it trying to move? did the locks go out slowlyone at a time or did it just happen over night? from what you saying i think your having a resistance problem mabye at the master switch oryourf.r.e.d module (fords ridiculus eleletronic device).if you need the directions to replace the act. i can e-mail you the instructions.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:23 PM

ORIGINAL: b rabbit

on a two door they are about the same difficulty. if i wereyou i would do the passanger side first , so you can let people in with out reaching over. Before you go and buy a 80 actuator, can you hear it trying to move? did the locks go out slowlyone at a time or did it just happen over night? from what you saying i think your having a resistance problem mabye at the master switch oryourf.r.e.d module (fords ridiculus eleletronic device).if you need the directions to replace the act. i can e-mail you the instructions.
b rabbit, you have a pm.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:21 AM

The actual culprit to this is that Ford used a thermal resistor for the locks and when they age, they get weak. The resistor becomes unable to handle the load to actuate the lock. A redneck remedy is to remove the actuator and wrap the resistor in tin foil but this sounds like a fire hazard to me. I'm sure that a person could buy a new resistor at a Radioshack or something. The New replacement actuators don't have this problem but most trucks from Ford from 97-03 or so all had this problem whether it be an F150 or a super duty. A new resistor would sure be a lot cheaper than a new actuator. All the actuators in my 2000 CC have stopped working for the most part unless its really cold outside but I don't really care....if I need to lock the truck I can reach all the lock *****.