Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-f-250-ford-f-350-15/)
-   -   7.3 help diagnose (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-f-250-ford-f-350-15/7-3-help-diagnose-1708/)

diesel problem 09-06-2005 01:37 AM

7.3 help diagnose

I just purchased a 2002 7.3 4wd 6speed crew cab with 75000 miles. After putting 650miles on the truck it has begun to "sputter" when trying to maintain a certain speed.When this first happened,I thought i was out of fuel,but i had a half tank.I filled the tank thinking there was a problem with the gauge, but the problem persist. It seems to be worst when the truck is fully warmed up. The engine light also comes on when when this happens. The engine light goes away when the truck is shut off and restarted. This does not seem to happen in the lower gears mostly in third gear when trying to maintain 35mph or 6th gear doing 65mph. I have replaced the air and fuel filters thinking the fuel filter was the culprit but as soon as it got up to temperature the problem remains.By reading other problems in the forum it may sound like a cam positioning sensor?? ANY help at all would be deeply appreciated.

Sabretooth 09-06-2005 02:17 AM

RE: 7.3 help diagnose

Sounds like what happened on my old car...mind you, it shouldn't be happening to a new truck like that...what it was in my old Mercury Grand Marquis 1992 (yeah, I know it isn't diesel, but it may be the same problem), there was a problem in the computor...can't remember the exact problem, only that the computor was blowing up...(I was releasing the magical blue smoke)...anyways, that may be the problem, it started off with sputtering and rough idling as well as rough medium speeds, then eventually the damn thing just shut off on the highway and that was that...anyways, hope this may help in finding the cause...Ramrod seems to be the resident expert on most things, so I look forward to hearing what he has to say...same with cctxfish...(I didn't forget you)

cctxfish 09-06-2005 05:14 PM

No I think [sm=hail.gif] Ramrods the local diesel expert. I bet the problem is fuel related. [sm=headbang.gif]

johnny5 09-06-2005 08:37 PM

yea sounds like my problem, i think its the cam position sensor

firechief_1 09-07-2005 01:22 AM

Hi
Although I am new to the forum I would suggest changing the cam positioning sensor, I have a 7.3 and am having a similar problem but starting at the CPS is a good move as when this goes out it will leave you stranded. I too am having trouble but mine just stalls. Even after changing filter, fuel, CPS I am still having problems. I say to change CPS because I took mine to my local dealer and had a dianostic run on codes. Normally if the engine light comes on the computer will throw a code and this will give you some idea of the problem and how to correct it. If you have a code reader this will help if not you may need to go to a dealer or friend and get the code. You can find all of Ford's codes by accessing Ford's home page and search for codes. Hope I helped some While needing help myself. Any ideas from the experts?

Sabretooth 09-07-2005 01:55 AM

Well, looks like the CPS is the one which got the most votes, so I guess starting there is the best place...give a shout back if it works, and if it doesn't, well, write anyways so we can think up some other solutions.

johnny5 09-07-2005 08:46 AM

i hooked mine up to the tester and there were no codes i was confuzed because my check engine light comes on and i thought it was suposed to throw up a code

Sabretooth 09-07-2005 09:07 PM

Normally it should because there is a sensor that activates it, so it should send a code...did you fix it or is it still under confuzzlement?

diesel problem 09-08-2005 12:03 AM

I took it to auto zone to have a free check for codes but the engine light would not come on. They said the light had to be on for it to throw a code, so i drove around for two hours and no problems, I even threw my wife in there, wich I am convinced is what causes the light to come on in the first place,but still no light. Who knows????? I'll keep ya posted

Sabretooth 09-08-2005 12:49 AM

thats the way it always works...when you need it to mess up it won't, and when you really really really need it to work..it'll quit...ugh[sm=headbang.gif]