Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

91’ F250 W/302 5.0+Long Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 04:59 AM
Default 91’ F250 W/302 5.0+Long Road Trip

Been a while since i posted here, check out my last post 16yr old me was out on the beach overheating engines..
Anyways I since then had the motor ‘rebuilt’ i think the guy who rebuilt it just swapped the head with a newer motor and put it back in. It runs and all but it being a 5L V8 i think it should at least jump a little. I had very weak power, and i am sending her off to mexico in the next month for my dad as a birthday gift/ work truck. He told me not to have it professionally rebuilt by an actual shop because he can have it rebuilt for half the price or something down there.
Shes been sitting for awhile(2 years?) i did start about every 3 months. (Dang Kids!!)

I would still like to have it run strong enough for there not to be any major problems. It’s 1100mi road trip, Tacoma Wa to San Diego CA and then another 1000 south of the border.

What should i do with about to gettin her running as best as these older 5.0 can go.
Already have in mind to buy a new radiator system because i will have to drive over 3 large mountain passes and the california heat and don’t want to be overheating.!!
A tune up; Spark plugs, wires, and cap. Oil change and new radiator fluid. Anything else i could do for a tune up? i’m not too familiar with injector fluid but if that’s something i should do comment back.

Also how would i get the rear gas tank to work... or how do i know it really works. I use the switch and the gauge drops down to around E and i’m afraid of putting more than 5$ because if it doesn’t work then there goes 5$ right?..

Power windows don’t work, the right side i can see is pulling power because the voltage gauge goes down.
Driver side window i can hear clicking and it goes down about 2 inches then just clicks what could that be..

Speedometer doesn’t work....i remember trying to show off and take off fast but the rear end just bounced and then the speedometer stopped working.. i’m going to check the wire that plugs into the transmission but could it be something else?

Im also going to take it to les schwab because the front left wheel is cambered out and i don’t remember seeing too many trucks leaning like that....
I’m bringing along a standard wrench and socket tool set.
A chain, will be buying a spare tires too

I should’ve put some love in her throughout the years but High School and New job had me running already.

Anything else you would check on a 91’ Ford F-250 Lariat before taking a long trip let me know!
Thank You, i appreciate any feed back. I wish i knew how to upload a picture of her. one of the best looking Single Cabs in my opinion.

P.S if anyone is a mechanic in Tacoma WA or knows a great one let me know so i can have it checked out.