Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

Not Charging

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 09:27 PM
Default Not Charging

Hey what's up i got a 03 F250 5.4 truck has been running fine up until last night when i was plowing. I thought the alternator died. So i changed it do to the fact that i lost the radio,lights,gauges,etc...Figured not charging. Put new alternator in and charged the battery and battery went died after about 40 minutes of lights on plow usage,radio,heat etc.. Alternator not charging battery any suggestions. Haven't done any test yet. Oh and cluster not working now either just the lights on the cluster work.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Maybe a defective alternator or the wrong output for the truck? Maybe an issue with the GEM? Have you checked for any codes?

Old 02-10-2016, 12:04 PM

Welcome on a board. Update please..!!

Old 02-10-2016, 12:22 PM

Hi 1ton,
Hope we can offer some useful suggestions.
On the driver's side fender well, in the engine compartment, is a junction block where the heavy gauge wire from the alt joins to another heavy gauge wire that goes to the battery positive post. You may need to remove the plastic cover to see the junction.
That connection if ignored can prevent the alt charging current from going to the battery if rusted / corroded. Might be a good idea to check it and make sure it is clean and making a good connection. High resistance there can produce a low/no charge condition. If you have a simple voltmeter available , connect it to the battery terminals and let us know what reading you are getting , engine off and engine running. I do not remember if your vehicle has a voltmeter with the other dash gauges, you might be able to use that one.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Hi 1ton,
Hope we can offer some useful suggestions.
On the driver's side fender well, in the engine compartment, is a junction block where the heavy gauge wire from the alt joins to another heavy gauge wire that goes to the battery positive post. You may need to remove the plastic cover to see the junction.
That connection if ignored can prevent the alt charging current from going to the battery if rusted / corroded. Might be a good idea to check it and make sure it is clean and making a good connection. High resistance there can produce a low/no charge condition. If you have a simple voltmeter available , connect it to the battery terminals and let us know what reading you are getting , engine off and engine running. I do not remember if your vehicle has a voltmeter with the other dash gauges, you might be able to use that one.
Voltmeter truck off 12.53 truck running same but going down do the fact not charging. The battery was charged but dies in 30-40mins. Changed battery and fuse links

Old 02-10-2016, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by LakelandFordParts
Maybe a defective alternator or the wrong output for the truck? Maybe an issue with the GEM? Have you checked for any codes?
No i haven't checked for codes yet. Will do though.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by 1ton
Voltmeter truck off 12.53 truck running same but going down do the fact not charging. The battery was charged but dies in 30-40mins. Changed battery and fuse links
No truck doesn't have dash guage. Plus all the guages went out before the truck died.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:52 PM

Did you have a chance to check that cable connection from the alt to the battery?
The alt output is controlled by the vehicle computer(PCM). Make sure the contacts that plug into the alt are tight internally. I wouldn't think there could be a problem with the the junction box under the left side of the dash , but at this point we need to check everything we can. If there was any water leaking from the windshield onto the GEM,SJB (generic electronic module-smart junction box) unbelievable things happen.
Last but not least, aftermarket alternators for Ford vehicles do not have a good reputation. OEM work best.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:58 PM

Did you have a chance to check that cable connection from the alt to the battery?
The alt output is controlled by the vehicle computer(PCM). Make sure the contacts that plug into the alt are tight internally. I wouldn't think there could be a problem with the the junction box under the left side of the dash , but at this point we need to check everything we can. If there was any water leaking from the windshield onto the GEM,SJB (generic electronic module-smart junction box) unbelievable things happen.
Last but not least, aftermarket alternators for Ford vehicles do not have a good reputation. OEM work best.
Connections are good. Wired brushed them. Haven't done much after that. To be continued.......

Old 02-10-2016, 08:05 PM

Connections are good. Wired brushed them. Haven't done much after that. To be continued....... My friend told me the same thing about the alternator aftermarket junk he works at a Ford dealership. He tells me after i put the alternator in he could have got me a Ford alternator for the same price as aftermarket.

Quick Reply: Not Charging