Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-f-250-ford-f-350-15/)
-   -   95 F350 7.3 hard to start+white smoke (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-f-250-ford-f-350-15/95-f350-7-3-hard-start-white-smoke-15218/)

HorchataKing 12-07-2008 06:14 PM

95 F350 7.3 hard to start+white smoke

One day my truck was running fine the next morning I went out and it took 10 minutes of cranking and waiting to start it. Background on the truck if its any help: It is known I had at least one failing injector though it wasn't completely dead when I shut it down the night before. (injectors have been suspect in several recent problems). Now the truck wont start and after I finally got it running I noticed a significant leak of fuel on the ground under the starter motor. Smell test proved diesel leak there. Again this morning I had the same problem only I can't get it started at all. Any suggestions to check for are all greatly appreciated. I will update as I run more tests.

HorchataKing 12-08-2008 02:49 PM

RE: 95 F350 7.3 hard to start+white smoke

Update 1. I managed to get it started with no effort this morning (its 49). Now it idles and runs. At idle before the engine was warmed up it blows white smoke, smells like unburnt fuel.

HorchataKing 12-09-2008 12:02 AM

Update 2. Truck runs white smoke is now blue. Called Dealer they said to not drive it unless necessary. Anybody have any suggestions. Please I need to get this thing running again.

Hayapower 12-09-2008 12:10 AM

Check in the engine valley for fuel collecting there.. If there are any fuel leaks at the seperator/filter or lines the fuel will collect and run to the back of the valley opening where it makes it's way down the back of the block, starter, and usually shows up as a drip on the lower bellhousing.. If you do have a failing injector, that would be the place to start for a fuel smoke problem.. Have a 'cylinder contribution/balance test' done to pinpoint the faulty injector.. Was the fuel on the ground clear? Could be that you have a combination of issues causing the dropped fuel, hard/no start, and what sounds like performance issues since the injectors were suspect before.. Had any previous injector work or oring replacements?

HorchataKing 12-09-2008 10:24 AM

No previous injector work since I have owned it. No Orings. The only work I have had done was a replacement pressure plate and clutch hydralics.

01Powerstroke7.3 12-09-2008 01:52 PM

Have you run the codes? I had a similar problem with mine and I got a code P1316 injector circuit- DM Codes detected.

Here's what I found to fix it!

"The P1316 is an IDM fault detecting injector faults. I usually see this when the under valve cover harness retainer turns loose and the connector starts to come unplugged. An easy fix, R&I valve cover and plug back in and install the little plastic retainer clip that Ford has to keep it from coming apart again **or** you can slide a flat washer under the tab that is how I fixed a dozen of them before Ford came out with the little plastic wedge."

This also affects the power to the glow plugs causing hard start!

I am experiencing the exact same problem with my pick up and it is HARD to start in the mornings (cold mornings), I turn the key on and let the glow plugs warm up and then turn the key off for a sec and turn it back on till the wait to start light goes off then turn it off repeating about 4 or 5 times. When I finally turn the ignition over I hold the gas pedal to the floor and just kind of bump the engine a few times and generally it will start right up but even when it's plugged in all night I can't start my pick up just by going out and starting it like on a warm day.

HorchataKing 12-10-2008 12:41 PM

I have no way to test for codes unfortunately. Sorry I can't be of better help. The hard start technique with the glow plugs doesn't help. I suspect more than 1 failed/failing injector. If anyone can confirm an injector problem that would be great. Sorry guys for not being able to provide a better diagnostic experience.

01Powerstroke7.3 12-10-2008 02:04 PM

I took mine to AutoZone and they hooked it up to the diagnostic machine for free.

Hayapower 12-10-2008 05:16 PM

Any CEL?? Check engine light..

How many miles on the clock?

The earlier PSD's didn't really have the issue of the connector clip 'relaxing' and the connector moving out/back.. The later PSD's had the single large connector w/single retainer, the earlier builds had two smaller harness connectors per side.. But,, the earlier buildsdid have a lot moreinstances of the UVC (under valve cover/harness) burning and heat distortion destroying the connections where the harness passes through/under the valve covers to the injectors.. Sometimes the glow circuits (the outer most connections) would melt the connector and take out the injector connections close by.. Usually easily spotted by a 'bulge' or swelling on the outer most ends on the connectors.. Some injector connections will/would die on their own, or suffer a weak connection, but both conditionseither a weak/dead injector or the IDM circuit/harness failures should set a code/lamp for poor cylinder contribution/s or high/low injector circuit/harness problems.. Injector orings were also an issue with age and mileage on the earlier builds.. If the truck has a poor idle and substantial misfire (and you have no test equipment) you can pull the valve covers off (first checking the UVC connections for heat damage) and unplug an injector at a time with the engine idling.. You'll feel a significant 'bump/thump' when that injector is taken off line (and the cylinder is firing well).. Repeat with all injectors on the bank.. Any that have no, or very little thump when unplugged would be suspect.. The amount of oil being exhausted out the injector manifold can also point to a dying injector as well.. The glow plugs can be ohm tested with a multi meter (DVOM) at the glow connection tip, or, through the harness prior to taking and pieces off.. Helps to check the harness continuity as well.. Glow relay should be checked for function as well..

If you can find someone with a scan tool (not just a code reader) with function test capabilities, or, have it at least shop diagnosed for a cylinder balance/contribution, as well as a glow plug resistance test, it would take some of the mystery out of the diagnosis, plusthe labor/time to manually check each of the cylinders performance which is some guess work at times if on a high mileage engine, or multiple injector issues.. A diagnostic scan and functional testing may also help to prove out a base engine problem over a fuel delivery/circuit issue..

HorchataKing 12-11-2008 01:04 AM

No CEL. Truck has 168k miles. I'll be getting it towed to a shop in the near future. When it gets there I'll report back their findings.