Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

2000 F-250 7.3 Turbo Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 09:59 AM
Default 2000 F-250 7.3 Turbo Diesel

I am having a strange problem with my automatic transmission. I was driving the truck to work on Friday and when I pulled into my parking space, the truck would not shift into park. I could move the lever between gears, but it didn't feel as though the shift lever was actually seating in each of the gears. During the drive to work the truck shifted normally back and forth through the gears. I also couldn't get the key out of the ignition unless I put it into neutral. I also couldn't start it unless it was in neutral.

I checked the fluid and added 4 ounces which didn't fix the problem.

I got under and checked the linkage and it was hooked up properly. I noticed an electrical part mounted next to the linkage with several wires running off of it. Does this have anything to do with the problems I am having?

Up to this point, I have never had an ounce of problems with the transmission so that's what makes me think that the problem lies somewhere outside of the transmission.

Any suggestions?

Old 10-26-2009, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

First thing to check would be the '2' torx screws on the bottom end of the column body for tight.. They attach the lower shift arm to the shift selector tube.. Its a common problem for them to back out/come loose and sometimes even fall out causing a sloopy or shift/selection 'hunt'.. Look up from about the carpet heel pad area, or about straight up from the brake pedal.. You'll see where the shift cable comes up and attaches to a small shift arm at the base of the main column body.. Move the shifter up/down and if loose you'll see the arm wobble, or may notice they've backed out or even found a screw on the mat..

The other things that can happen are that the shift selector 'tube' that runs the lenght of the column from the gear selector on down to the cable arm can break/crack and cause a shift selection problem.. Or less common, the hold down clamps that keep the tube in position can break and/or screws back out or the nylon bushings come out, but usually only make for some excessive selector play..

Here's a quick image of the torx screws and arm..

Attached Thumbnails 2000 F-250 7.3 Turbo Diesel-shifter-tube.gif  
Old 10-27-2009, 02:20 PM

thank you so much for your reply. i will check that out tonight.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:15 PM

Well Hayapower...I did as you said and I'll be damned if one of the screws in the shifter tube bracket wasn't sitting on top of carpet right under the brake pedal. It was kind up up high in the carpet so it wasn't noticeable. Now I just have to figure out how to get my large self up under there to replace it. Anyway....great call and thanks alot.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

Good deal..

For a more permanent fix and in such a limited area,, sometimes it helps to first 'moderately' tighten the remaining screw (so not to have to fight/hold the lever to start the screw/s) then move and locate the selector lever 'centered' on missing tube screw hole (if not already centered) then start the missing screw followed with a snug tighten as well.. Remove one at a time and coat them with red loctite and tighten.. Finally, check both for even/tight..

Last edited by Hayapower; 11-03-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:08 PM

Well here's a happy ending. I found a repair guy who would come to my house to see if he could re-install the screw. He got up under there, put it in and said the other one was about 3/4 of the way backed out also. He tightened that one also. We fired her up and everything worked just as before. I have to tell you, I am amazed that the problem could be so simple. I know for a fact that if I had taken the truck to a transmission repair shop, or the dealership, I would have definitely been out thousands. Instead, this guy only charged me 20 bucks.

This board rocks. Thanks Hayapower. You are DA MAN!!!!!