Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-f-250-ford-f-350-15/)
-   -   On going problem (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-f-250-ford-f-350-15/going-problem-37762/)

crosley 04-14-2018 09:17 AM

On going problem

I have an ongoing problem for over a month, 96 E250-4.9 L-automatic-70.000 Miles-The problems started when the Ignition coil grounded..I could actually see sparks to the block.I replace the coil-plugs-wires-dist. cap-rotor, Van ran fine for 2 days-then Flashed codes PO171/174

Checked for vacuum leaks-replaced intake rubber couplings-ignition coil-plugs-wires-dist cap-rotor-fuel filter-coolant temperature sensor.
///???

hanky 04-14-2018 12:11 PM

I'm a little puzzled,
first, what kind of problem is your vehicle displaying?
second , the codes are for an engine with 2 banks , the codes indicate a lean condition on each bank
Did you get a chance to double check your work ?
Do you know if there were any codes in the computer before doing the work?
If so, what codes?

crosley 04-14-2018 12:44 PM

The on going problem 96 E250 4.9L

The problem started after I replaced the coil pack plugs and wires-distributor cap and rotor...It would not start -coil was grounded-arcing to the block - you helped me with that...The engine ran fine for a few days-it starts and idles fine...but when on the highway like 50 MPH or so...if you back off the gas pedal-you can feel a miss-then I get the PO171 and PO174 codes and the engine lacks power...I have double check everything...???

When I reset the codes...I can drive a few miles-and it starts again when I let off the gas at highway speeds or even below in some cases.

hanky 04-14-2018 02:30 PM

Have you checked to see if the EGR valve is hanging up and staying open ?
You might try removing and plugging the vacuum line to the EGR valve and see if it makes any difference.

crosley 04-14-2018 03:18 PM

Hanky- Thanks-I will give that a try tomorrow...I sure appreciate that information/
I couldn't find the air intake rubber connectors-obsolete-not available...I used Fernco plumbing rubber couplings...worked out well.

John

crosley 04-14-2018 03:56 PM

I decided to go ahead and try blocking the EGR vacuum line..I drove it 1.4 mile-and the PO171 and PO174 flashed..
I thought we had it,,,but we didn't...? Such a puzzle.

John

hanky 04-14-2018 05:53 PM

Did you have the codes before installing the Fernco ?
The codes indicate a lean condition which could be caused by unmeasured air getting into the engine between the MAF sensor and the throttle body. The ECM could be at it's limit to add addl fuel to compensate for too much air getting into the engine.
How is the idle quality?

crosley 04-14-2018 06:24 PM

Yes- I had the codes before I replaced the couplings..I did notice that the idle did increase after installed...not a great increase..just slightly more than before.

But it starts well and idles good...

hanky 04-14-2018 08:36 PM

Did you check the PCV valve for being stuck open or broken internally?

crosley 04-14-2018 08:40 PM

Yes- I installed a new PCV and hose with clamps.I am going to replace the Mass Air and PCM...everything else has been replaced...why not,,,Hah !
It is a real mystery that began after I replaced the coil-Wires-Plugs-dist. Cap/Rotor.Total mystery.

Thanks ,

John

hanky 04-15-2018 07:00 AM

The MAF could be the problem, but I doubt the PCM is.

crosley 04-15-2018 07:13 AM

I think your right-I will try that this week,,I have a source of parts -used-and will see what happens,I dread the thought that the intake manifold gaskets may also be the problem...I had a so-called Ford tech tell me that... he didn't check...and then another told me-maybe the fuel pump...and didn't either.This area is full of experts..hah,,,

Thanks Hanky--will keep you posted, This Van is like new condition-70,000 miles...it's a shame it's making it impossible to do my work///but thats life..

John

hanky 04-15-2018 07:21 AM

After you take care of this little problem, and it is not a disaster, you will look back and wonder how you missed the small item.

crosley 04-15-2018 07:31 AM

Ha !!! Exactly ! It happens frequently in my Refrigeration business...Quite often we say " How did I miss that " Right...
Got to love these cars-truck with EPA inspired designs...

hanky 04-15-2018 07:12 PM

Now I know why you are keeping your "cool" !

crosley 04-15-2018 07:36 PM

HAAAA ! That's it...I ordered a fuel pressure gauge with adaptors...I plan to check the fuel pump while driving and see how it;s performing...

before replacing the Map and PCM I did spray nonflammablebrakecleaner over the upper and lower intake area...no change of engine speed at all..

John

hanky 04-16-2018 03:46 AM

The 4.9s didn't have much problem with intake manifold gaskets , just the Vs.

crosley 04-16-2018 06:57 AM

Thanks Hanky-Thats good to know,,,

crosley 04-18-2018 01:26 PM

Hello Hanky- You were right on ! It was the MAF sensor !!! Never received a code-but you were right,,,Van runs like a big dog..

Thanks a million for all the help..

John

hanky 04-18-2018 01:46 PM

Thanks for the update. Now that you corrected the problem, what are you going to do with all that spare time now? lol

crosley 04-18-2018 03:44 PM

HAHAHA !! Really...Can't believe all those techs with their high dollar scanners couldn't pick that up...weird---ya know..

hanky 04-18-2018 06:02 PM

We're still looking for that "magic tool" that tells you what is causing the problem and how to repair it.
I guess it's like ,
my refrig won't cool, but My tool tells me there is no refrigerant in the unit , but it stops there. This is where the magic tool repairman/woman goes on to get at the problem and based on their training,knowledge and experience solves the problem.
I guess people like us that have that training,knowledge and experience will have a job at least for now ! What do you think?

crosley 04-18-2018 06:10 PM

Hi- That makes sense-I have commercial systems that provide flash codes-same deal-so yes-that makes sense,My logic on the van was replace
whats in sight-kind of like the lawnmower shops and test components...Interesting thing these days-there is a shortage of 30 million techs in all areas=
kids today are not interested in such skils-unless its computers.

Thanks again,
John

hanky 04-18-2018 06:25 PM

I get a kick out of todays stuff that I need a computer to just get it to operate.Let's take the modern washing machine and have fun with that.
It used to be throw the laundry in, add soap and water and the washing machine knew what to do.
Now I have to tell it how much laundry it's getting
how hot the water has to be
how long it should wash
What to do when it is done and
get back to me if it can't do this.
Pity the poor guy that has to fix these , because they have computerized them too!

crosley 04-18-2018 06:38 PM

Oh I know-you are so right,,Washing machines-dryers-and refrigerators not to mention TV's have become throw-away items..Rather sad,
They haven't figured out how to make commercial refrigeration that way...way to costly.

I have a friend who is a maytag repairman-in the front window of his store he has the old maytag kick start - gas powered washing machine-
there is a sign on the unit LOANER....ha !!! while waiting for chinese parts

hanky 04-18-2018 06:54 PM

Find out how much he charges to rent it long term and if he has more than one !!

I guess we have entered the throw away vehicle phase, but instead they just trade them in /

crosley 04-18-2018 07:37 PM

I wonder about the rental...hah ! Yes-but the prices of Trucks and cars is out of control...Another sad affair.

hanky 04-19-2018 07:23 AM

Somebody has to be benefiting from the high prices for new vehicles these days and it's no wonder imported vehicles seem to outnumber domestic vehicles on the road.
Don't overlook the "Imports" that are "assembled" here. I don't know this for sure, but I have heard it mentioned before that , without naming them, they prefer our products manufactured here to the products they make and sell here.

crosley 04-19-2018 08:00 AM

I believe the people in the loan world are making all the money on vehicle sales.I restore and show crosley;s nationally.
Something to be said about those cars and trucks-in that you can fix them basically with pliers and a screwdriver,,ha !https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...e21bea2681.jpg52 Crosley roadster
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...d9b53e5ddc.jpg51 Crosley super sedan

hanky 04-19-2018 08:16 AM

I remember seeing them years back and at that time we were concerned with getting run over in them because they were so small. Not to worry because as soon as the price for gasoline goes sky high again all those big SUVs will be on sale because they won't be able to feed them.

crosley 04-19-2018 08:41 AM

Ha! They are small-but mighty-The Roadster with a production of 380 cars-won at sebring-87 MPG-24 hours...amazing.You are right on the Hog SUVs=its already happening..

hanky 04-19-2018 08:49 AM

Not too long ago there was a program about the gent who designed / came up with the idea of an SUV and even he called it a "Simply Useless Vehicle" !

crosley 04-19-2018 09:01 AM

That's funny- Mr. Powel Crosley invented the SUV in 1949=first one was given to Pres.IKE for farm use at Gettysburg,PA-then the first american convertible ..1949https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...f4964c39d.jpeg