Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-f-250-ford-f-350-15/)
-   -   v-10 triton intermitten loss of power while accelerating (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-f-250-ford-f-350-15/v-10-triton-intermitten-loss-power-while-accelerating-38733/)

pkramer66 10-10-2018 05:51 PM

v-10 triton intermitten loss of power while accelerating

1999 Ford f250 Super Duty v-10 triton engine. Just turned 200,000 miles. The engine at an idle runs smooth, no miss at all. While accelerating in completely bogs down to nothing, you can accelerate passed this "dead spot" but the truck will not go more than 40 mph. Engine light did come on giving codes p170 & p174. I have checked for vacuum leaks, found none. ( have not performed a smoke test yet) have cleaned the MAF.
The truck has a K & N filter system. I have cleaned the filter, and noticed the paper element inside had some little tears the size of a pencil eraser. After cleaning it, I did not spray with the K & N oil that came with the cleaning kit. Can that have anything to do with the MAF sensor not reading correctly?
Looking for any one that has experienced this and suggestions on where to look/what to do.
The truck is not blowing any smoke at all, not backfiring, not loosing coolant, engine is not running hot.

Appreciate any feed back as I am stumped. Just spent $1600 on ball joints and tires, pockets are empty to take it to a shop and have them try to diagnosis it at this time.

Ronf38 10-10-2018 07:28 PM

Had same with mine

Ended up being the "tea bag filter" in the fuel tank....it is in yhe suction canister in the fuel tank..it would idle great and slow accel would work to a point...but as soon as power required it would bog out

pkramer66 10-10-2018 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ronf38 (Post 110092)
Ended up being the "tea bag filter" in the fuel tank....it is in yhe suction canister in the fuel tank..it would idle great and slow accel would work to a point...but as soon as power required it would bog out

Thank you for your reply. This problem you had gave you the same codes with the engine light on?

Ronf38 10-10-2018 08:07 PM

Yes

Yes to all...i had changed fuel pressure reg...same problem....

pkramer66 10-10-2018 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Ronf38 (Post 110094)
Yes to all...i had changed fuel pressure reg...same problem....

How did you come to the conclusion it was the “tea bag” filter? What made you look there?

Ronf38 10-10-2018 09:20 PM

Guage and flow meter

I was very desperate to figure it out....the dealer threw parts at it. So i parked it....my dad came to visit. We started it and went for drive....took 3 minutes and my dad said this sucker is running out of fuel.....so i bought a guage with a really long hose...drove around and checked pressure....it was good at idle but dropped alot when i stepped on it. We dropped tank to check/change pump....that is when we noticed filter in canister was pluged and looked like a giant tea bag....we cleaned out canister bought new tea bag at napa..truck ran great till i sold it 4 years after the repair.