Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford Five Hundred (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-five-hundred-67/)
-   -   05 Ford 500 | Seized Brake Caliper on both rear (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-five-hundred-67/05-ford-500-%7C-seized-brake-caliper-both-rear-41613/)

Charlie Towne 04-02-2020 03:44 PM

05 Ford 500 | Seized Brake Caliper on both rear

i have a 05 ford 500 with 220K miles. My rear brake pads are needing replacement and are all evenly worn on both passenger and driver side. The issue i have is i cannot get the brake caliper to collapse. It wont budge. Im using the correct key tool to rotate it in but it wont budge. I opened the master cylinder cap to releive pressure and I even cracked the bleeder and couldnt get either side to collapse. one attempt I cracked the bleeder and put a ton of pressure and tried twisting and i got a little tiny bit to come out of the bleeder but barely a dribble. Could I possibly have dual bad brake calipers on both rear tires?

hanky 04-03-2020 07:00 AM

With those miles on the calipers,,,, if they have never been replaced,,,,,,,, Yes it is possible AND IT"S TIME !

raski 04-04-2020 06:12 AM

Cracking open the bleeder and the calipers still clamped tight is a sure sign that the calipers are seized and likely the rear brakes were inoperative. Sometimes you can tap on the calipers with a heavy hammer and they might loosen up some. Don't do a John Henry on them however. If there is a rust ridge on the rotors, you may want to remove it to aid in caliper removal.Leaving the bleeder screw open while trying to wiggle off the caliper might help too.

hanky 04-04-2020 11:13 AM

If you do decide to replace the calipers yourself, I would suggest that you do as much checking and research as you can so you know what is involved if you allow air to get into the ABS, which if that happens you will require a scan tool capable of operating the ABS solenoids to remove any trapped air in the hydraulic brake system.

raski 04-05-2020 09:21 AM

If you can manage with a helper to keep the hydraulic system from emptying out while you swap calipers, should be a simple bleed job. You will not need to activate the ABS system to bleed.

the1driver 05-11-2020 06:01 PM

Brake Caliper Wind Back Tool is what you need to collapse the caliper, very hard to do by hand but can be done.

scott.butler4 05-20-2020 05:44 PM

Sounds like you need two new calipers, easy to replace, dont need to bleed ABS, make sure not to get brake fluid on brake pads, Make sure new calipers are on correct sides, unbolt one caliper and using 2 new cooper washer install on new caliper, do same for other side, have a helper bleed rear brakes, shouldnt take more then 30 minutes including bleeding brakes.

raski 05-21-2020 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by scott.butler4 (Post 119174)
Sounds like you need two new calipers, easy to replace, dont need to bleed ABS, make sure not to get brake fluid on brake pads, Make sure new calipers are on correct sides, unbolt one caliper and using 2 new cooper washer install on new caliper, do same for other side, have a helper bleed rear brakes, shouldnt take more then 30 minutes including bleeding brakes.

No need to worry about ABS provided the system isn't allowed to empty while changing out the calipers.