Ford Five Hundred The new mid-sized luxury sedan, offering a powerful engine and all wheel drive.

AWD not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 11:22 AM
Default 06 Montego

Just found this site and thread, because as you guessed it our Montego has just started doing this (Traction Control light staying on). Took it to the dealer, they said it has the code P1889 and said it needs a 4x4 Module and Pump, quoted a price of around $1800. I have looked up the TSB on this and am familar with what it says.

They did not give us any part numbers for the items that should/will need to be replaced, so I am guessing from reading the prior post from FordLifeSaver that the part number he provided (same as in the TSB) will be one of the parts. With the little information I have can anyone tell me what the part number to the other item is.

I have checked around online for the Pressure Sensor Kit (TSB) and find that it retails for around $280-290 and can be picked up for a little under $200. Just curious what the other parts actual cost is. Also wondering if anyone has a breakdown of the rear diff showing these parts that they might share.

Thanx,

Old 01-26-2015, 07:24 AM
Default Core Part Numbers from Ford

The "Core" Part Number for the pressure/temperature sensor is 4B487. I found one on eBay for $176.00 for my '05, Five Hundred. There is an outfit in Canada who sells a 12 Volt Motor and seal kit that replaces the pump motor (Likely bad.) for $160.00 + $20.00 S&H, which is a lot cheaper than the entire pump (P/N/ 4C019) They are called "YourHaldexWorks". There is also a rebuilding service for the HALDEX Module (4C016) for $225.00(?) listed on eBay, as well. I replaced the sensor first, as the TSB says, then the pump motor failed. Installed that and later, an input shaft bearing started making noise! I found a used rear differential with 90,000 miles on it for $350.00 and installed that. A Nightmare of a job, but the wife is happy.

The TSB appears to be nothing more than a FORD-Sanctioned "Shotgun" approach, rather than a diagnostic procedure.

Good luck.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:13 AM

BobbyLew, Thanx for the reply/followup information. Starting to sound like we are just going to have a FWD instead of AWD car.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by bbstacker1
BobbyLew, Thanx for the reply/followup information. Starting to sound like we are just going to have a FWD instead of AWD car.
Wish I could have been more encouraging. As an aside, when the rear "diffy" got noisy, I removed the driveshaft for several weeks while gatheringh parts. Lo and behold! No more "AWD MALFUNCTION" warning.

Another drawback....Removing the driveshaft is a pain, as well, due to the need to remove the exhaust system.

Wish I still had my 1957 Bel Aire 2 Door Hard Top!

Old 05-15-2015, 12:19 AM
Default "AWD Malfunction" with traction warning light on.

It's been coming and going for a few days. Is it safe to drive? Am I going to fry something if I drive it? Could it just be low oil in the rear end? because the cars 10 years old. I need this car to get to work.
2005 Five Hundred Limited AWD, CVT trans.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:20 AM

As far as frying something. All I can tell you is we asked the same question of our local Ford/Merc dealer, they said it would not hurt anything to drive it, and so far we have put a few thousand miles on ours since it started doing this with no ill effect on anything else.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:30 AM
Default Had exact same problem

I looked for the temp/oil sensor and couldn't find it. I was just getting frustrated with the whole deal, so went to the dealer and it cost $900 to have then change the differential oil pump. I didn't get a chance to the mechanic to see how he figured it out.

I'm sick to my stomach on the cost. I had to cancel my vacation just to pay for it. I mean, I requested the old part, and the damn thing isn't any bigger than a baseball. Never, ever, by a ford.

Old 01-26-2018, 03:20 PM
Default 2005 awe freestyle limited

Originally Posted by FordLifeSaver
Ohh this is a classic. Let me tell you wherever you went and whatever they told you. THEY ARE FULL OF SHYT! I can tell you exactly what is wrong. Private message me and we will resolve this situation.
Hi, I'm having the same issue of when it's cold I don't get the awd malfunction and the awd work, however after 3-4 mins the fault appears and only fromt wheels work. I put car on stands and put in drive and the rear drive shaft is turning but wheels do not? Please help

Old 06-15-2018, 02:45 PM
Default Hey!

[QUOTE=FordLifeSaver;78394]Ohh this is a classic. Let me tell you wherever you went and whatever they told you. THEY ARE FULL OF SHYT! I can tell you exactly what is wrong. Private message

yo i have the same problem!!? What do i do

Old 09-23-2018, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by FordLifeSaver
Ohh this is a classic. Let me tell you wherever you went and whatever they told you. THEY ARE FULL OF SHYT! I can tell you exactly what is wrong. Private message me and we will resolve this situation.
Hi, I also own a 2005 Ford Ltd with the same issue as post by member timesnow.. I took it to the dealer and they want $2000 to replace the entire AWD Module. Is there an alternative to correct this issue. If you need additional information, please let me know.
Thanks.