Ford Five Hundred The new mid-sized luxury sedan, offering a powerful engine and all wheel drive.

ABS and Brake problem

Old 09-20-2016, 07:37 PM
Default ABS and Brake problem

There is something strange happening to my brake/ABS system.

It all started yesterday morning. When I went to work suddenly my ABS and Traction Control light came on and stayed on. When braking no matter, hard or soft I could feel the ABS kick in and also I heard a grinding noise from the front wheels. I live in a very curvy mountainous area and the road was somewhat wet from a rain shower. I made it to work with unease and was not looking forward to my ride back. When driving home 8 hours later, to my surprise, both lights went out and the brakes were not making any noise and the ABS was not kicking in as well.

I thought at first, maybe a rock got lodgged in between the brake disk and came back out, so all is good.

Well, this morning I drove back to work and while the ABS and the Traction Control light did not come on the ABS would keep kicking in when I would slow down for corners. However, by 5:00 pm when I headed home all seemed fine again.

I need some advice. Does anyone have an idea what could cause this problem. I am worried to drive my car with this problem since in the morning my brakes seem to be unreliable with the ABS constantly kicking in but by the evening all seems fine.

The only thing I can think of is the temperature change and moister level are different in the morning. Since I am not a mechanic this may sound unrealistic, but could there be some kind of senser that is getting wet or damp and is shorting out in the morning while by 5:00 pm it has all dried out by the sun and heat.

Any input is appreciated. Thank you

Old 09-21-2016, 02:12 PM

Diagnosing over the internet is not always good. That said,
when the wheel speed sensors fail to send a signal that the wheels are moving the anti-lock brake system thinks a wheel is locked and not turning and acts accordingly .
There is some type of problem possibly with a wheel speed sensor or wiring that is causing the system to activate. A thorough check by a good shop should be able to help you out on this. So much for internet suggestions !

Old 09-21-2016, 05:29 PM

Thank you for the responds. I talked to mechanic to have him check this out in the next few day's. He also thinks, from what I explained to him, that it may be a wheel speed sensor or something like that. So perhaps we are on the right track with this. Thanks again