Ford Five Hundred The new mid-sized luxury sedan, offering a powerful engine and all wheel drive.

Transmission Question AW-21 6 Speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 09:12 PM
GBL
Default Transmission Question AW-21 6 Speed

I recently picked up a 2006 Ford Five Hundred Limited with 120,000. Vehicle is in great condition inside and out and has no mechanical issues. Prior work done was a water pump, new brakes/rotors and A/C recently. There are no fluild leaks and it runs very well for its age. The only thing I was unsure of was and if any transmission drain and fills. Fluid was in decent condition (visually and smell) however I decided to drain and fill per instructions on this site and others. Very easy job. Now my question. Prior to change I noticed that the fluid level (cold/level surface was a little high (about a quart I would say). At operation temp after a drive I still am seeing, per dip stick, about a quart too much. Doing my drain I was able to get 3 quarts out of the transmission and refilled with the EXACT same quantity. Operated the car for about 15 minutes to get transmission at normal operating temp and again it indication per dip stick probably about a quart too much. Is this normal? If there were too much fluid in the transmission I would get that extra out during a drain and fill. From what I see I should be getting about 3 or slightly more out during this procedure. If I filled only based on the dip stick reading I would be short at least a quart during the next drain and fill - right? I've seen some posts where during a drain and fill individuals only get about two quarts whereas the majority of other get in the 3 quart range or slightly more. So do I go by the dip stick levels or what was drained out. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.