Ford Five Hundred The new mid-sized luxury sedan, offering a powerful engine and all wheel drive.

No Speedometer Check Brake System

Old 05-14-2016, 01:33 PM
Default No Speedometer Check Brake System

Hello, I am looking at purchasing a 2005 Ford Five Hundred Limited with 194k mi with the CVT and AWD.

While on the test drive, the speedometer dropped to 0, the ABS, Brake, Traction Control and I think the SRS lights came on and "Check Brake System" was displayed on the Information display. The car seemed to drive fine, I'm not familiar with the CVT but it wasn't making any concerning noises. When back to the dealership, the salesman let me run my code scanner on it and it pulled the following (I removed repeated codes in the same modules):
Code:
===TCM DTC U0415-60===
Code: U0415 - Invalid Data Received from the ABS Control Module

- DTC Present at Time of Request
 - Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC

Module: Transmission Control Module
===PCM DTC None===
Successfull DTC reading, no error codes found

===4X4M DTC P1889-20===
Code: P1889 - Oil Pressure Pump Performance

- Previously Set DTC - Not Present at Time of Request

Module: 4X4 Control Module

===ABS DTC C1165-20===
Code: C1165 - Right Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Input Circuit Failure

===ABS DTC C1222-20===
Code: C1222 - Speed Wheel Mismatch

Module: Anti-Lock Brake / Traction Control Module

===RCM DTC B1318-A0===
Code: B1318 - Battery voltage Low

- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is On for this DTC

===RCM DTC U2023-A0===
Code: U2023 - Fault Received from External Node

- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is On for this DTC

Module: Restraint Control Module

===IC DTC B1318-20===
Code: B1318 - Battery voltage Low

Module: Instrument Cluster

===IC DTC U2023-20===
Code: U2023 - Fault Received from External Node

Module: Instrument Cluster

===PAM DTC None===
Successfull DTC reading, no error codes found

Module: Parking Aid Module
I talked to the guy at the service counter of the Ford dealer (not the dealer that has the car for sale) he said he thinks it might need an instrument cluster at a cost of about $1500 (but he isn't a tech and said I would have to return on Monday to talk to a real tech)
Some looking online points to a pressure switch in the rear diff and/or an ABS sensor. I'm not afraid to turn a wrench if it just needs sensors but an IC would need to be programmed after install which I'm not sure I can do with my scanner.

Has anyone experienced this issue? If so what was the fix? Thanks

Additional Thoughts:
They are asking $3900 which seems like a lot considering its condition and If I would have to drop $1500 on a new cluster right away I'm not sure I would be interested at all unless they backed way down on the price.

Old 05-15-2016, 05:44 PM

An hour ago I read your post. I have an '05 500 SE with the CVT (no AWD) with 54K. Ebay has several speedometer clusters for less than $100. There are a couple of sellers for about $50 will "rebuild" the cluster and give a lifetime guarantee. If you decide to replace the cluster I believe they (the dealer) can reprogram with the present odometer reading. If you are good with a wrench there probably won't be any problems. I detest my cluster as it is the black-faced. If the money were available I would replace it with the white-faced cluster. I do have a concern regarding the mileage on the one you may purchase. I bought mine from my late Mom's estate a year ago. It had 43,500 on it. She had bought it new. Good luck on your decision. No regrets buying my Mom's.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:18 AM

The dealer selling it just called, they think it needs a wheel bearing, so they are going to replace it and call me for another test drive. Do these cars have a the tone ring for the ABS built into the wheel bearing or is it the more traditional separate tone ring on the CV shaft? Either way I don't think the issue is ABS related to begin with. (it did have an ABS code but i suspect it is unrelated to the Instrument Cluster issue).

Old 05-23-2016, 10:55 AM

cvt trans may not have vss output sensors and may use wss data for vss signal....addressing wss may be the proper fix in this case.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:30 PM

Ok, well if the dealer ever gets back to me I'll mention it but apparently it takes them a week to change a wheel bearing. I'm not holding my breath for a call, I may have to visit again as they don't seem to answer the phone either, must not want to sell it too badly.
-Thanks

Edit: they called me to do another test drive but then sold the car before I could get there. They claim the Right rear wheel bearing fixed it but I can't say for sure.
-Thanks

Last edited by Brad Noyes; 05-26-2016 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:48 PM

you will find a better one. Thanks for posting the result.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:58 AM
Default 2007 ford freestyle

I just got a 2007 ford freestyle which is doing the same thing speedometer drops to 0 lights come on including traction control light but I am able to turn the ignition of and start it back up and no more problems untill my next trip.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:33 AM

get the fault codes read and post them to a new thread in the freestyle section.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:45 PM

I replaced a wheel bearing with a cheap one off ebay and the same issue occurred. The factory bearings have a metal cap on them with slots that the sensor reads. The cheap replacement has the slots or some sort of magnet built into the bearing. I read that if they install the bearing backwards in the hub, the sensor cant read it. I went to Advance Auto and bought a MOOG bearing that also has the slots or magnet inside the bearing seal and all is perfect.