Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford Focus (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-focus-25/)
-   -   Auto large jolt when changes gear (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-focus-25/auto-large-jolt-when-changes-gear-5567/)

CarTrouble 10-11-2006 11:52 PM

Auto large jolt when changes gear

I've got a 2002, 68kms on the clock Ford Focus. Occasionally when it changes gear there is a large jolt. This is random and doesn't relate to it going up hills, being cold, or carrying a load. It's quite a jolt and definitely not right.

I've checked the transaxle fluid and it seems and ok level, although perhaps slightly high. The engine oil is low (will fill tomorrow) but I have no idea whether this relates anyway. Can anyone please tell me what else I need to check please?

Thank you! :)

94 4x4 ranger 10-11-2006 11:58 PM

RE: Auto large jolt when changes gear

[sm=welcomesign.gif][hr]Is the check engine light on?

CarTrouble 10-12-2006 12:06 AM

No. No lights are on.

01BlueZX3 10-12-2006 01:30 AM

Check your engine mounts. Could be the problem.

CarTrouble 10-12-2006 01:35 AM

Thanks. How do I do that?

94 4x4 ranger 10-12-2006 11:25 AM

To check your engine mounts,Have somone put the car in drive from neutral and watch the engine.No with the car in drive with the driver holding the brake tight give it some gas.if it moved alot you most likely have a bad motor mount.You can also use this method using reverse to check the rest of the mount's

CarTrouble 10-12-2006 11:37 PM

OK I think it's slowly leaking transmission fluid (front left of the engine - front wheel drive). There was a small patch of pink oily fluid there tonight. The other week we drove over something that clunked loudly under the car - prob a rock. Could this have done something?

Do you think I'm safe to drive it 2 hours to the garage in the city? I live in a ski resort!

Thanks for your help.

94 4x4 ranger 10-12-2006 11:46 PM

In your first post you had mentioned the fluid was a little high.[hr]My question is how much over the full mark is it a 1/4" a 1/2" or more and did you check it when the engine was cold or hot?

CarTrouble 10-12-2006 11:52 PM

I checked it hot. It's about and eight of an inch over the mark, 3mms (asI'm not good with inches!).

It had a tune up in September. Surely they'd have checked the level then? (the rock hit was after this). It can't be leaking a huge amiount but it did the jolt again tonight so def something wrong.

CarTrouble 10-12-2006 11:52 PM

It wasn't jolting before we hit the rock or whatever it was.