Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford Focus (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-focus-25/)
-   -   HELP!! Focus will not stay running NOBODY can figure it out. (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-focus-25/help-focus-will-not-stay-running-nobody-can-figure-out-26415/)

theonlykb 02-09-2012 12:52 PM

HELP!! Focus will not stay running NOBODY can figure it out.

I have a 2002 ZTS 2.0 ZTEC

Nobody I have talked to seem to know what is going on with my car. So here we go. Thursday night the car would not stay started. I would start it and it would die right away. Other times it would just spin over and not start. So for the first time in 10 years I had to have to towed. Got it to the house and believe it or not it started and I let it sit there and idle for about 5 min. Turned it off and it had the same issues again.

Saturday morning I cleaned the mass air flow sensor and the idle air control valve. The car started and I let it idle for a while, no issues. Let it sit for a bit and it started again but this time during the idle it wanted to die out a couple of times.

Sunday I went to drop it off at the shop about 3 miles from the house. Started ok but soon down the street it wanted to die but did not. The I was going about 45 and the car felt like I put it in 1st gear and let off the clutch. It bogged down big time. I had my foot in the pedal and it would not go over 5mph then out of nowhere it took off like a rocket. It did this the whole time to the shop. Each time it did this the light with the exclamation point would come on.

Fuel pressure is good even when it acts up. The only code is for the EGR but I have had that for 2 yrs now. Not sure about the IAC because it was doing it as I was driving and not sitting still.
As far as the warning light goes its a 5sp and it has overheated before and that light never came on and I doubt the car over heated in the first 8th of a mile (the temp gauge was normal)

The coolant temp sensor is working properly, fuel filter is new, new battery.

hanky 02-09-2012 01:21 PM

If you want to, you can try this.
Get a bottle of cold water , maybe like 2 full cups, start the car in the driveway have the hood open ready to dump the cold water on the crank sensor as soon as it dies. if it starts right up and runs a short while and quits again repeat the cold water treatment. If that seems to solve the no start problem, change the crank sensor.

theonlykb 02-10-2012 10:21 AM

I had the crank shaft position sensor replaced. The vehicle will start but it will Idle good for a while then want to die out and sometimes it will just die out. Im just not wondering if the fule pump is not loosing power intermittantly or some other component like the ecm. I do know it seemed to be driving ok one day and this just happened out of nowhere. Electrical?

hanky 02-10-2012 11:00 AM

Could you supply some addl info ?
mileage, what have you done or had done so far?
Can you have any codes in the PCM read and post them?

theonlykb 02-11-2012 01:19 PM

The only code is for the EGR but I have had that code for a couple of years now. I was told I can bypass the EGR, so I did. Just this week the water pump, Crank shaft sensor, battery and fuel filter have been replaced. I have just over 97,000 miles. I did take it to a shop this week and they could not come up with anything.

hanky 02-11-2012 01:55 PM

There could be many reasons causing the engine to stall/ quit running.
What we need to do now is to isolate whether the problem is fuel or spark related.
The only way to determine if fuel pressure is present at the time it falters is to hook up a pressure gauge to the fuel rail and actually see what pressure is there. No room for guess work here! Once the fuel system can be confirmed working properly we go to the ign system and see if spark is available when required. One of these should isolate the problem to a particular system. Throwing parts at it and shooting darts at possible causes costs money,time and effort that may not be any help.
If the shop you took it to doesn't have the time or equipment to narrow down the problem, I would consider another shop that has the equip. and knows how to at least isolate which system is the problem.

theonlykb 02-13-2012 07:58 AM

It should be going to Ford today. I should have taken it there in the first place but I went to a shop someone recommended.